When you attempt to link a file to a Business Contact Manager record, or create a marketing activity from an Office program such as Word or Publisher, you receive a message that says:
Before you can link this item to a Business Contact Manager record:
- Set Outlook as your default e-mail program.
- Create your Outlook profile, and complete the Startup Wizard for Microsoft Outlook 2010 with Business Contact Manager.
Causes and resolutions
Before you can link a file to a record or create a marketing activity, Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010 must be enabled. There must be an active connection to the Business Contact Manager database in Outlook.
When you link a file to a record, you are including the file in the Communication History of the Business Contact Manage record.
When you attempt to create a marketing activity from a file in another Office program, you are linking the file to the Business Contact Manager marketing activity.
There could be several causes of an inactive connection:
Set Outlook as your default e-mail program
- In Outlook, click the File tab, and then click Options.
- On the General tab, select the Make Outlook the default program for E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar check box.
Create a profile in Outlook
This profile should be the same profile you use for Business Contact Manager for Outlook.
- Do one of the following:
- In Control Panel in Category view click User Accounts, and then click Mail.
- In Control Panel in Classic view double-click Mail.
Note The Mail icon won't appear unless you have Outlook installed and have run the program at least once.
The Mail Setup dialog box opens.
- Click Show Profiles.
- Click Add.
- Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.
- Add an e-mail account to use in your profile by following the instructions on the screen.
Note Make sure the Prompt for a profile to be used option is marked.
Complete the Business Contact Manager Startup wizard
Open Outlook and the wizard will run automatically.
If the wizard was interrupted before completion, restart it.
- In Outlook, click the File tab.
- Click the Business Contact Manager tab, and then click Enable.
The Startup wizard will begin.
Re-enable Business Contact Manager for Outlook
Rarely, you may find that the Business Contact Manager for Outlook folders, options, and commands are missing from the Navigation Pane, the Microsoft Outlook Backstage view, and the Ribbon tabs. If this occurs, you must re-enable Business Contact Manager for Outlook.
- Start Outlook, and then click the File tab.
- In the Navigation Pane, click Options
- In the Outlook Options window, click Add-Ins.
- If necessary, in the Manage box near the bottom of the window, click COM Add-ins.
- Click Go.
- In the COM Add-ins dialog box, select the following check boxes:
- Business Contact Manager for Outlook
- Business Contact Manager Loader for Outlook