There are two ways a Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 presentation can be opened in PowerPoint 2003 or earlier:
- In PowerPoint 2013 : Save your PowerPoint 2013 presentation in the PowerPoint 97-2003 file format (.ppt).
- In PowerPoint 2003 or earlier : Install updates and converters to your PowerPoint version that allow you to view the newer file format (.pptx).
Save a presentation as a PowerPoint 97-2003 file
- In PowerPoint 2013, open the presentation that you want to open using PowerPoint 97-2003.
- Click the File tab and then click Save As.
- In the File name box, enter a name for your presentation, or do nothing to accept the suggested file name.
- In the Navigation bar, select the location that you want to save your presentation to, or do nothing to accept the suggested location.
- At Save as type, click PowerPoint Presentation, and select PowerPoint 97-2003 Presentation.
- Click Save.
The file is saved as a PowerPoint 97-2003 Presentation (.ppt) file that you can open in PowerPoint 97 through 2003.
- Presentations, templates, and slide shows created in the PowerPoint 2013 file format (.pptx) are already compatible with PowerPoint 2007 and PowerPoint 2010. No Save As is needed.
- A presentation built in PowerPoint 2013 might lose some features and effects when saved in PowerPoint 2003 or earlier. That's because those features or effects weren’t available in earlier PowerPoint versions.
- SmartArt graphics and some visual objects that are available in PowerPoint 2013 are not in PowerPoint 97-2003. When you save as a PowerPoint 97-2003 file, graphic objects convert to bitmaps, which maintains their appearance but limits how they can be edited or changed.
For more information about how to work with the different file formats, see Open a presentation created in a different version of PowerPoint. You can also Check whether a PowerPoint 15 presentation can open with PowerPoint 2003 or earlier.
Download converter if you have PowerPoint 2003 or earlier
If you have Office 2003 or earlier, you can download the free Microsoft Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Its converters help make it possible to open, edit, and save a presentation that you created in PowerPoint 2013.
Download the Microsoft Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint from the Microsoft Office Downloads and Updates website.
After you install the updates and converters, all PowerPoint 2013 presentations that you open are automatically converted so that you can edit and save them.
Note Some features and effects in the PowerPoint 2013 presentation might be lost even if you use the Compatibility Pack.