You can make changes to a design template and save the new template so it is available for other presentations.
- On the Standard toolbar, click New .
If this or any other toolbar mentioned below isn't visible, on the View menu, point to Toolbars, and then click the toolbar you want to display.
- On the Format menu, click Slide Design, and in the Slide Design task pane, click the template that you want to modify. If the template you want isn't in the task pane, click Browse at the bottom of the pane to locate and apply it. (For more about browsing for templates, see the next task.)
- On the View menu, point to Master, and then click Slide Master.
- Make the changes you want to the slide master. If you want to make changes just to the title master, click the title master thumbnail to the left and change the title master slide.
- On the File menu, click Save As.
- In the Save as type box, click Design Template.
- In the File name box, type a name for your template, or select a file in the list to keep the same name. Note that if you are modifying a template that came with PowerPoint, it gets saved as a new template and you should give it a new name.
- Click Save.
The template is saved to the Templates folder. (This is the folder that PowerPoint uses by default when you select Design Template as the file type in the Save As dialog box.)
After you close and reopen PowerPoint, the template is available in the Slide Design task pane, in alphabetical order by file name, under Available for Use. Also, after you apply the template once, save your presentation, and reopen PowerPoint, the template appears in the New Presentation task pane (File menu, New) under Recently Used Templates. In PowerPoint 2002, it appears under New from template, with other recently used templates.