To understand the purpose for using a slide master, see What is a slide master?
- Open a blank presentation, and then, on the View tab, in the Master Views group, click Slide Master.
- When you open Slide Master view, a blank slide master with the default, associated layouts appears.
Note In the slide thumbnail pane, the slide master is the larger slide image, and the associated layouts are positioned beneath the slide master.
- To create a layout, or to customize an existing layout, see Create a slide layout that meets your needs.
- To add or modify placeholders in your layouts, see Add one or more content placeholders to a layout or Change or delete a placeholder.
- To remove any of the built-in slide layouts that accompany the default slide master, in the slide thumbnail pane, right-click each slide layout that you want to delete, and then click Delete Layout on the shortcut menu (shortcut menu: A menu that shows a list of commands relevant to a particular item. To display a shortcut menu, right-click an item or press SHIFT+F10.).
- To apply a design or theme (theme: A set of unified design elements that provides a look for your document by using color, fonts, and graphics.)-based colors, fonts, effects and backgrounds, see Apply a theme to add color and style to your presentation or Apply multiple themes to a presentation.
- To set the page orientation for all of the slides in your presentation, on the Slide Master tab, in the Page Setup group, click Slide Orientation, and then click either Portrait or Landscape.
- On the File tab, click Save As.
- In the File name box, type a file name.
- In the Save as type list, click PowerPoint Template, and then click Save.
- On the Slide Master tab, in the Close group, click Close Master View.
Top of Page
Links to more information about slide masters