The Compatibility Checker in Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 helps find potential issues with formatting and features that might come up if a PowerPoint 2013 presentation is opened in PowerPoint 2003 or earlier. Such issues can affect performance of the presentation.
To run the Compatibility Checker:
- In PowerPoint 2013, open the presentation that you want to check for problems.
- Click the File tab, and then click Info.
- At Prepare for Sharing, click Check for Issues, and then select Check Compatibility.
For example, the Compatibility Checker identifies if a PowerPoint 2013 presentation contains any shape effects (such as reflection and glow), 3-D text or SmartArt, which appear in earlier versions of PowerPoint as pictures that cannot be edited. As another example, the Compatibility Checker reports if you've embedded a video into your presentation (instead of linking a video). An embedded video appears in PowerPoint 2003 or earlier versions as a picture and won’t play.
To learn about the messages that the Compatibility Checker returns, see Compatibility Checker.
- You don’t have to run Compatibility Checker if you’re trying to open a PowerPoint 2013 file in PowerPoint 2007 or PowerPoint 2010. The file formats are the same in each version of PowerPoint, so there are no compatibility problems.
- You can’t save or open a PowerPoint 2013 presentation in PowerPoint 95 or earlier PowerPoint versions.
- If you frequently save presentations in a PowerPoint 97-2003 format, in the Microsoft PowerPoint Compatibility Checker dialog box, select the Check compatibility when saving in PowerPoint 97-2003 formats check box.