You don’t have to use the measurement units PowerPoint came with. A few clicks in Windows Control Panel changes PowerPoint measurements, for example, from inches to centimeters.
Note PowerPoint displays the measurement system your computer uses, so to change from inches to metric (or vice versa), make the change in Control Panel in Windows. You can’t change the measurement units directly in PowerPoint.
- Close PowerPoint.
- In Windows click Start > Control Panel. Or if you’re using Windows 8, do the following:
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)
- Enter Control Panel in the search box, tap or click Apps, and then tap or click Control Panel.
- Double-click Region and Language, Regional Options or Regional and Language Options, depending on what version of Windows you’re using. The options that appear are different for various versions of Windows:
- If you’re using Windows 8 or Windows 7, in the Region and Language dialog box, click the Formats tab, and click Additional settings. Select Metric from the Measurement system menu, and click Apply > OK.
- If you’re using Windows Vista or Windows XP, click the Regional Options tab, and then click Customize. On the Numbers tab, in the Measurement system list, click Metric. Apply the changes.
- If you’re using another version of Windows, look for a Numbers option that includes a Measurements setting, and then change the value to Metric. Apply the changes.
The rulers will now display measurements in the system you chose.
Tip To change back from centimeters to inches, repeat the steps above and select U.S. instead of Metric.