Every theme in PowerPoint includes one slide master and a set of slide layouts. The slide layout you choose will depend on color, fonts, and how you want your text and other content to be arranged on your slides. If the predesigned layouts won’t work, you can change them.
For more information about layouts, see What is a slide layout?
Apply a slide layout in Normal View
Pick a pre-designed layout that matches the arrangement of text and other object placeholders that you plan to put on your slide.
- On the View tab, click Normal.
- In Normal View, in the thumbnail pane on the left, click the slide that you want to apply a layout to.
- On the Home tab, click Layout, and then select the layout that you want.
Change a slide layout in Slide Master View
If you are unable to find a slide layout that works with the text and other objects that you plan to put on your slides, change a layout in Slide Master View.
- On the View tab, click Slide Master.
- In Slide Master View, in the thumbnail pane on the left, click a slide layout that you want to change.
On the Slide Master tab, to change the layout, do one or more of the following:
- To add a placeholder, click Insert Placeholder, and then pick a type of placeholder from the list.
- To rearrange a placeholder, click the edge of the placeholder until you see a four-headed arrow, and the drag the placeholder to the new location on the slide.
- To delete a placeholder, select the placeholder, and then press Delete on your keyboard.
- To add a new layout, click Insert Layout.
- To rename a layout, in the thumbnail pane on the left, right-click the layout that you want to rename, click Rename Layout, type the new name of the layout and then click Rename.
Important If you apply a slide layout to a slide in your presentation, and then go into Slide Master View and change that layout, you must go into Normal View and reapply the layout to the slides that follow the layout so the slides adopt the changes you made to that layout.