Placeholders are boxes with dotted borders that contain content and reside within a slide layout. With the exception of the Blank layout, all built-in slide layouts contain content placeholders.
The following is an example of a slide layout that contains a title text placeholder, two subtitle text placeholders, and two placeholders to which you can add body text, a table, chart, SmartArt graphic, picture, clip art, or a movie or sound clip.
You can add placeholders anywhere on a slide layout and add custom prompt text to prompt your users to enter a certain type of content. For instructions on how to add custom prompt text, see Add a text placeholder with custom prompt text.
Important If you apply a layout to one or more slides in your presentation, and then go back and edit that layout by adding a placeholder, custom prompt text, or some other layout-altering action, you must reapply the layout to the slides so that the slides adhere to the updated layout. For more information see Edit and reapply a slide layout.
- On the View tab, in the Presentation Views group, click Slide Master.
- In the pane that contains the slide masters and layouts, click the layout that you want to add one or more placeholders to.
- On the Slide Master tab, in the Master Layout group, click Insert Placeholder, and then click the type of placeholder that you want.
- Click a location on the layout, and then drag to draw the placeholder.
- To add more placeholders to a layout, repeat steps 2 through 4.
Note When you add placeholders to a layout, if the content in those placeholders changes the layout's purpose, you will want to rename the layout. To do so, right-click the slide layout thumbnail, click Rename Layout, type a new name, and then click Rename.
- On the Slide Master tab, in the Close group, click Close Master View to return to Normal view.
- Do one of the following:
- To reapply the newly-edited layout to an existing slide, in the slide thumbnail list, select the slide, and then on the Home tab, in the Slides group, click Layout, and then select the revised layout.
- To add a new slide that contains the layout (with the newly-added placeholders), on the Home tab, in the Slides group, click New Slide, and then select the slide revised layout.
Top of Page