You can use PerformancePoint Dashboard Designer to create dashboards that contain a variety of report types, including Excel Services reports. An Excel Services report in a PerformancePoint dashboard looks like a custom-formatted table but it is also highly interactive.
Important Before you attempt to create an Excel Services report for your dashboard, make sure that you have access to an Excel 2007 workbook that has been published to Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (see Publish a workbook to Excel Services ). In addition, make sure that Excel Services is properly configured to work with PerformancePoint Monitoring Server. To learn more about how to configure Excel Services reports, see Configure Excel Services.
What do you want to do?
Learn more about Excel Services reports
An Excel Services workbook is an Excel 2007 workbook that has been published to Excel Services. That Excel 2007 workbook can have its own own data source connection, including SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services, an open database connectivity (ODBC) connection, or a tabular data source, such as a SQL Server table or a SharePoint list.
An Excel Services report in a PerformancePoint dashboard looks like an interactive Excel worksheet. Excel workbooks appear to be very similar to Excel Services reports. In fact, Excel Services reports can include a wide range of standard Excel features and functionality, including conditional formatting, formulas, and charts. Learn more about the differences between using a workbook in Excel and Excel Services.
After an Excel 2007 workbook is published to Excel Services, the Excel Services workbook becomes the data source for the Excel Services report type in Dashboard Designer. This is true regardless of the data source that is used for the Excel 2007 workbook,
Top of Page
Create an Excel Services report
When you create an Excel Services report, you do so in two stages. In Stage I, you use a wizard to create the basic structure of your report. In Stage II, you configure the report to display data.
Stage I: Create the basic structure for an Excel Services report
- Click the Create tab, and then click Other Reports.
- In the Select a Report Template dialog box, click Excel Services, and then click OK.
- In the Name box, type a name for your report. To specify where you want to store your report in PerformancePoint Monitoring Server, click Select Display Folder and then select or create a folder. Click Finish.
- In the Confirmation page, review the information in the Details pane, and then click Close.
- Click the Home tab, and then click Publish Item to save your report to Monitoring Server and make it available for you for adding content. Proceed to Stage II: Configure an Excel Services report to display data.
Top of Page
Stage II: Configure an Excel Services report to display data
Note Before you begin the following procedure. make sure that you have created the basic structure of your Excel Services report.
- In the center pane of the workspace, click the Editor tab. In the SharePoint Site box, type the Web address (also referred to as the URL) of the Excel Services site where the Excel workbook that you want to use for your report resides. The Document Library list becomes populated.
- In the Document Library list, select the SharePoint document library that contains the workbook that you want to use for your report. The Excel Workbook list will become populated.
- In the Excel Workbook list, select the Excel 2007 workbook that you want to use in your report. This View button becomes activated so that you can preview the report data.
- Click the View button to preview the report.
- To adjust the report view, you can change the items that you display. You do so by using the Item Name, Row, and/or Column sections.
- To use the Item Name box, type the name of a workbook item, such as a chart, table, or other named item in the Excel workbook.
Note The item that you specify must either be available directly in the workbook itself, or it must be an item that was selected for display when the workbook was published to Excel Services.
- To use the Row box, type the name (or range) of the row (or rows) that you want to display in your dashboard.
- To use the Column boxes, type the name (or range) of the column (or columns) that you want to display in your dashboard.
- Click the Home tab, and then click Publish Item to save your changes to Monitoring Server.
Top of Page