You see a green ball in the ribbon if you scale the window for your Microsoft Office program so that the ribbon is made smaller and you did not add an icon to the new custom group or a command added to a custom group does not have an icon associated with it.
An icon is displayed if you add the custom group to the Quick Access Toolbar and to help differentiate between your own customized ribbon and the default ribbon.
Add an icon to represent the custom group or command
- Click the File tab.
- Under Help, click Options.
- Click Customize Ribbon.
- In the Customize the Ribbon window, under the Customize the Ribbon list, click the custom group or command that you added.
- Click Rename, and then in the Symbol list, click an icon that you want to use to represent the group or command.
- In the Rename dialog box, click OK.
- To see and save your customizations, click OK.