|Microsoft Office 97, 2000, XP, and 2003
Microsoft Outlook® 98
This article is written for Microsoft Windows XP. However, the "Manual updates to your computer clock" section applies to all versions of the Microsoft Windows operating system.
If your computer is a member of a domain, your computer clock is probably synchronized automatically by a network time server. If your computer is not a member of a domain, your computer clock is automatically and regularly synchronized by an Internet time server.
How can I tell if my computer is part of a domain?
- Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
- Click the Computer Name tab.
This tab lists several settings, including whether your computer is a member of a domain or workgroup. Whichever one your computer is a member of, the name is also displayed.
Automatic updates to your computer clock
This procedure describes how to synchronize your computer clock with a time server on the Internet. Make sure that you are connected to the Internet.
- Click Start, click Control Panel, click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options, and then click Change the date and time.
I don't see this
If you are using Control Panel in Classic View, do the following:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Date and Time.
- Click the Internet Time tab.
Note The Internet Time tab is not available if your computer is a member of a domain.
- Click Update Now.
- Internet time synchronization updates your clock on a regular basis. Windows sets synchronization to occur weekly, but if you purchased a computer with Windows XP installed, your computer manufacturer may have set it to occur more often.
- An Internet time server updates the date set by your computer as well as the time.
- The Update Now button is not available unless the Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server check box is selected.
Manual updates to your computer clock
- Double-click the clock on the Windows taskbar.
- Under Time, click the arrows to change the time.
- To change your time zone, click the Time Zone tab. In the box above the map, click the drop-down arrow, and then click your current time zone.