Typically, reminders are associated with tasks and deadlines. However, reminders are versatile and can be used with calendar items, e-mail messages, and contacts as well as tasks.
In this article
Calendar appointments and meetings
To set or remove reminders in appointments and meetings, do one of the following:
- For all new appointments or meetings that you create
For existing appointments or meetings
- On the Tools menu, click Options.
- To have a reminder automatically turned on or off for new appointments or meetings, on the Preferences tab, in the Calendar group, select or clear the Default reminder check box.
- If you select the check box, enter the amount of time before the appointment or meeting when you want the reminder to appear.
- Open the appointment or meeting.
Note If the Open Recurring Item dialog box is displayed, you must decide whether to change the reminder for the occurrence that you opened or for the entire series. Click either Open this occurrence or Open the series, and then click OK.
- On the Appointment tab, in the Options group, in the Reminder list, select the amount of time before the appointment or meeting when you want he reminder to appear. To turn a reminder off, select None.
Note For all-day events, the default reminder time is 18 hours in advance. Although you can't change the default for all of the all-day events you create, you can change the reminder time individually on each appointment.
Top of Page
E-mail messages, Contacts, and Tasks
- To set or remove reminders, select the e-mail message, contact, or task.
- On the Standard toolbar, click Follow Up, and then click Add Reminder.
Tip You can quickly flag e-mail messages as to-do items by using reminders. Right-click the Flag Status column in the message list. Or if you have the message open, on the Message tab, in the Tracking group, click Follow Up, and then click Add Reminder.
- In the Custom dialog box, select or clear the Reminder check box. If you select the check box, enter the date and time when you want the reminder to appear.
- Click OK.
Top of Page