An S/MIME (S/MIME: Secure Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) is a specification for secure e-mail messages that uses the X.509 format for digital certificates and uses various encryption algorithms such as 3DES.) receipt is an email security feature used to request confirmation that an email message was received unaltered. It also includes information about who opened the message and when it was opened. This verification information is returned as a message in your Inbox.
Note Because S/MIME receipt requests must include a digital signature, you must have a digital ID to request an S/MIME receipt.
Send a single message with an S/MIME receipt request
- In an open message, on the Options tab, in the More Options group, click the Message Options Dialog Box Launcher .
- Under Security, click Security Settings.
- Select the Add digital signature to this message check box.
- Select the Request S/MIME receipt for this message check box.
- Click OK on the Security Properties and Properties dialog boxes.
- Send your message.
Top of Page
Send all messages with an S/MIME receipt request
- Click the File tab.
- Click Options.
- Click Trust Center.
- Click Trust Center Settings.
- Click E-mail Security.
- Under Encrypted e-mail, select the Request S/MIME receipt for all S/MIME signed messages check box.
Top of Page