An S/MIME (S/MIME: Secure Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) is a specification for secure email messages that uses the X.509 format for digital certificates and uses various encryption algorithms such as 3DES.) receipt is an email security feature that is used to request confirmation that an email message was received unaltered. It also includes information about who opened the message and when it was opened. This verification information is returned as a message in your Inbox.
Because S/MIME receipt requests must include a digital signature, you must have a digital ID to request an S/MIME receipt.
- In an open message, click Options.
- In the More Options group, click the Message Options Dialog Box Launcher .
- Under Security, click Security Settings.
- Select the Add digital signature to this message check box.
- Select the Request S/MIME receipt for this message check box.
- Click OK on the Security Properties and Properties dialog boxes.
- Send your message.
Send all messages with an S/MIME receipt request
- Click the File tab.
- Click Options.
- Click Trust Center.
- Click Trust Center Settings.
- Click Email Security.
- Under Encrypted e-mail, select the Request S/MIME receipt for all S/MIME signed messages check box.
Top of Page