Send a fax using a fax service
- Do one of the following:
The first time you use fax services, you will be prompted to sign up with a provider. Click OK to open your Web browser, and then follow the signup instructions on the Web site.
Close your Web browser, and then return to the Microsoft Office program you want to fax from.
Repeat step 1. An e-mail message will open in Outlook with your document attached as a .TIF (image) file, or you can attach a file to the message.
Complete the Fax Recipient, Fax Number, and Subject fields.
- In Microsoft Office Word 2003, Microsoft Office Excel 2003, Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003, or Microsoft Office Document Imaging (MODI), on the File menu, point to Send To, and then click Recipient using Internet Fax Service.
- From Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, on the File menu, point to New, and then click Fax.
- It is recommended that you use a cover sheet and complete the To and Subject fields to ensure that your fax reaches the intended recipient.
- You can enter a fax number from your address book. Country codes in your address book must begin with a plus sign (+); for example, +61/555-0112.
- You can add only one recipient at a time. To send your fax to multiple recipients, click Add More, and then repeat step 5.
- In the Fax Service pane, choose the options you want, and then complete the cover sheet located in the body of the e-mail message.
- Click Send.
- You must have Outlook and Word installed to use the fax service, and Outlook must be open to send your fax. If Outlook is not open and you click Send, the fax will be stored in your Outbox and then sent the next time you open Outlook.
- After you have signed up with a provider, you can begin with step 4.
Send a fax using a fax modem
This procedure applies to Microsoft Word only and requires that your fax modem be set up as a printer on your system.
- On the File menu, point to Send To, and then select Recipient using a Fax Modem.
- Follow the steps in the Fax Wizard to send your fax.
Note Your fax hardware or software may provide more ways to send faxes. For example, when your fax modem is set up correctly, the option to print to your fax modem should appear in the Print dialog box. Using that approach, you can send faxes in Microsoft Office programs other than Word. For information, see the documentation that came with your product.