Depending on the protection level that you set for the Junk Email Filter, some legitimate email messages might be moved to the Junk E-mail folder. You should periodically review the messages in the Junk E-mail folder so that you aren’t missing any messages that you want to see.
- In Mail, in the Navigation Pane (Navigation Pane: The column on the left side of the Outlook window that includes buttons for the Mail, Calendar, and Tasks views and the folders within each view. Click a folder to show the items in the folder.), click the Junk E-mail folder.
Tip To prevent the unintended viewing of possibly objectionable messages, you might want to turn off the Reading Pane (Reading Pane: A window in Outlook where you can preview an item without opening it. To display the item in the Reading Pane, click the item.) for the Junk E-mail folder. On the View tab, in the Layout group, click Reading Pane, and then click Off. This doesn’t turn off the Reading Pane for other mail folders.
- Click any message that you don’t want to be marked as junk, then on the Home tab, in the Delete group, click Junk, and then click Not Junk.
A message that you mark as not junk is moved to the folder that it was previously in, usually the Inbox. You might be prompted to choose whether you want to add the sender or mailing list name to your Safe Senders or Safe Recipients List.
- To quickly delete all of the messages in the Junk E-mail folder and move them to the Deleted Items folder, in the Folder List, right-click the Junk E-mail folder, and then click Empty Folder.
To permanently delete the messages, press the SHIFT key when you click Empty Folder.
- Any message that is sent to the Junk E-mail folder is converted to plain text format, and any links that it contains are disabled. When you move the message out of the Junk E-mail folder, how it is handled depends on whether the Junk Email Filter also categorized it as suspicious:
- If the message is categorized as spam but not as suspicious When you move the message out of the Junk E-mail folder, its original message format is restored, and any links are enabled.
- If the message is categorized as suspicious When you move the message out of the Junk E-mail folder, its original message format is restored, but any links remain disabled. This is by default.
- You can only mark one message as not junk at a time. This is to prevent unwanted messages from accidentally being restored.
Top of Page