Color categories can be assigned to email messages, enabling you to quickly associate them with projects or other related messages. The default message list view groups messages by date in descending order of receipt. However, the message list view can be customized so that messages are grouped by color categories.
Group the messages in the message list by color categories
- In Mail, on the View tab, in the Current View group, click View Settings.
- Click Group By.
- Clear the Automatically group according to arrangement check box.
- Under Group items by, click Categories, and then click OK.
- Click OK to close the Advanced View Settings dialog box.
Tip Consider saving this custom view if you will be switching back to the default view. See Save a custom view in this article for more information.
Top of Page
Return to the default message list view
At any time, you can return to the default message list view which groups messages by date in descending order of receipt.
- On the View tab, in the Current View group, click Reset View.
Note If you are using a custom view that has been saved, in the Current View group, click Change View, and then click Compact.
Save a custom view
If you create a custom view that you want to use again later, consider saving the custom view. This makes returning to the customized view easier and avoids repeating the customization steps.
After you have created a custom view, do the following:
- On the View tab, in the Current View group, click Change View.
- Click Save Current View As a New View.
- Enter a name for the view, and then click OK.
Whenever you want to switch to the customized view, do the following:
- On the View tab, in the Current View group, click Current View.
- Click the view name.
Top of Page