This feature requires you to use a Microsoft Exchange Server 2000, Exchange Server 2003, or Exchange Server 2007 account. Most home and personal accounts do not use Microsoft Exchange. For more information about Microsoft Exchange accounts and how to determine which version of Exchange your account connects to, see the links in the See Also section.
Synchronization filters allow you to choose which items are downloaded to your Offline Folder file (.ost) (Offline Folder file: The file on your hard disk that contains offline folders. The offline folder file has an .ost extension. You can create it automatically when you set up Outlook or when you first make a folder available offline.). The .ost file is used when you work offline or use Cached Exchange Mode.
- In the Navigation Pane, right-click the folder that you want to filter, and then click Properties.
- Click the Synchronization tab, and then under Filtered synchronization, click Filter.
- Enter your filter criteria.
- For additional filter options, do one of the following:
- To filter by using additional criteria, such as a category or importance level, click the More Choices tab, and then select the options that you want.
- To filter by using additional or custom fields, click the Advanced tab, and then select the options that you want.
The next time the folder is synchronized, any new or modified items in the .ost file will be uploaded, all items that match the filter will be downloaded, and items that do not match the filter will be removed from the local copy.
Note Filters apply only to the selected folder. To apply filters to other folders, you must create separate filters for each of the folders.