To increase space in the Outlook window, you can minimize the Navigation Pane (Navigation Pane: The column on the left side of the Outlook window that includes buttons for the Mail, Calendar, and Tasks views and the folders within each view. Click a folder to show the items in the folder.). Minimizing the Navigation Pane hides the folder list, replacing it with a Folders button.
To minimize Navigation Pane, do the following:
- On the View menu, in the Layout group, click Navigation Pane, and then click Minimized.
The minimized Navigation Pane also displays the same Outlook view buttons, such as Mail, Calendar or Contacts, that you see when it is expanded. In Mail, the minimized Navigation Pane also includes a button for each Favorites folder.
On the minimized Navigation Pane, click Folders to display the folder list. When you click on a folder, the contents of the folder appear. In some views, such as Calendar and Contacts, clicking the Folders button displays folders, Date Navigator (Date Navigator: The small calendar that displays the current month in Calendar. It provides a quick and easy way to move appointments and to view other dates.), or other options.
Note Changes that you make to the Navigation Pane, either in minimized or expanded view, affects both views. For more information about making changes to the Navigation Pane, see Customize the Navigation Pane.
What do you want to do?
Add, remove, or move the Favorites buttons
Only the Folders button and the Outlook view buttons are displayed in the minimized Navigation Pane, except in Mail, when folders from Favorites also appear. When you click a Favorites folder button in the minimized Navigation Pane, a list of the mail items in that folder is displayed in the message list (message list: The middle part of the main Outlook window that displays the contents of the selected folder.).
The order in which the folder buttons appear in the minimized Navigation Pane is the same as the order in which they are listed in Favorites.
To add or remove a Favorites folder, do either of the following:
- Right-click the folder that you want to add or remove, and then click Show in Favorites.
- Click a folder and drag it to or from the Favorites list to add or remove it.
To move any of the Favorites in the minimized Navigation Pane, do either of the following:
- Right-click the folder that you want to move, and then click Move Up or Move Down.
- Click a folder and drag it where you want in the Favorites list.
Top of Page
Create more space for vertical folder buttons
The number of folders that appear as buttons in the minimized Navigation Pane depends on available space above the Outlook view buttons (such as Mail or Calendar) at the bottom of the pane.
To increase the amount of space in the minimized Navigation Pane, do any of the following:
- Shorten the names of the Favorites folders. The length of the folder name affects the length of the button.
- Drag the horizontal splitter bar down and hide the view buttons, such as the Mail button, the Contacts button, and so on.
- Remove some or all of the view buttons from the minimized Navigation Pane.
At the bottom of the minimized Navigation Pane, click Configure buttons , click Add or Remove Buttons, and then click the button that you want to remove.
- Maximize the main Outlook window. A taller window can create more space in the minimized Navigation Pane.
Top of Page
Add or remove view buttons
The view buttons that appear in the minimized Navigation Pane are the same buttons that appear in the expanded Navigation Pane, although they are smaller. You can choose the number of buttons to display or choose to hide them all.
Do any of the following:
- At the bottom of the Navigation Pane, click Configure buttons , click Add or Remove Buttons, and then click the button that you want.
- To change the display order of the view buttons, click Configure buttons , and then click Navigation Pane Options. In the Display buttons in this order list, click the button that you want to shift, and then click Move Up or Move Down.
- To restore the default button arrangement, click Configure buttons , click Navigation Pane Options, and then click Reset.
- To show a different number of view buttons, or none at all, drag the horizontal splitter bar up or down. Dragging the splitter bar down hides additional buttons, but does not remove them.
Top of Page