The features in this article are not available to wireless service subscribers in the United States. The Outlook Mobile Service is restricted to text messages only in the United States.
Outlook Mobile Service makes it easy to create and send multimedia messages to mobile devices from your computer. Multimedia messaging takes messaging one step further than regular text messaging. In addition to text, you can send pictures and audio clips embedded in your message instead of sending them as separate attachments to your message. To send multimedia messages, you must first add and configure an Outlook Mobile Service account.
What do you want to do?
Create a new multimedia message
- On the File menu, click New, and then click Multimedia Message.
- Enter the recipient's e-mail address or mobile phone number in the To box. To search for a recipient in an address book, click the To button.
- Type the subject that you want in the Subject box.
To add pictures to your message, see Add pictures and emoticons to your multimedia message. To add audio clips to your message, see Add or remove audio from your multimedia message.
Top of Page
Add a new multimedia slide
You can add another slide when creating your message. On the Multimedia Message tab, in the Create Slides group, click Insert.
Top of Page
Set duration of slides in multimedia messages
You can set the duration for which your slide will display in the recipient's mobile device. When you have more than one slide, setting the duration to display the slide between 1 and 120 seconds makes your multimedia message display in slideshow format on the recipient's mobile device.
To set the duration, type the value that you want into the Duration box at the top of each slide. Each slide can have a different value.
Top of Page
Send a multimedia message
To send a text message that you have created, you need to specify its recipients. You can either choose recipients from one of your address books, or enter the information directly into the To box of your message.
- Enter recipient information.
Do one of the following.
- Choose recipients from an address book
- On the Multimedia Message tab, in the Names group, click Address Book.
- Choose the address book that you want from the drop-down list. You can use any address book, including the Global Address List (GAL), to get your recipient's information.
- Select the names that you want, and then click the To button.
Tip You can search for recipient information by typing a name in the Search box.
- Click OK.
- Enter recipient names directly
You can enter recipient information directly in the To box in one of three formats:
- The recipient's mobile phone number.
- The recipient's e-mail address
- The recipient's last name
If you enter the recipient's names partially, then you can use the AutoComplete feature to complete them before sending the message.
- Click Send.
After your multimedia message is sent successfully, it appears in the Sent Items folder with next to the subject title to indicate that it is a multimedia message.
Note Before you can send a multimedia message, you must have at least one valid recipient in the To, Cc, or Bcc box. In addition, the message body cannot be empty.
Use the automatic name fill-in feature (AutoComplete)
If you partially enter a recipient’s name in the To box, use the AutoComplete feature to complete the names before you send your message.
- On the Multimedia Message tab, in the Names group, click Check Names. The Check Names dialog box will display a list of possible recipient names close to the partial names that you entered.
- Select the correct recipient names, and then click OK.
If there are multiple partial names in the Tobox, AutoComplete will display a list of possible names related to each partial name in turn. All addresses and mobile numbers that are valid are underlined.
Save a multimedia message
You can save your new multimedia message in one of three ways:
- Click the Save button on the Quick Access Toolbar.
- On the File menu, click Save.
- Press ALT+F, and then A.
Note If you close a message window, which contains text or media that is not saved, you will be prompted to save your message. Click Yes to save and close the window, No to close the window without saving, or Cancel to return to the message window.
If you click yes, your message is saved automatically to the Drafts folder. The subject of the draft message is the same as the first 30 characters (including spaces) in the message body.
Open the draft of a multimedia message
- Click the Drafts folder in the Navigation Pane (Navigation Pane: The column on the left side of the Outlook window that includes panes such as Shortcuts or Mail and the shortcuts or folders within each pane. Click a folder to show the items in the folder.). All draft multimedia messages are indicated by next to the subject title.
- Double-click the multimedia message that you want to open, or select it by using the arrow keys and then press ENTER.
Top of Page