If you are using a Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders file (.pst) that was created in Microsoft Outlook 97-2002, you can switch to a newer data file format that is the default in Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 and Microsoft Office Outlook 2007. The new .pst file format, called the Microsoft Office Outlook Personal Folders file (.pst), offers greater storage capacity for items and folders, and supports multilingual Unicode data.
There is no automated procedure to convert a Microsoft Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders file (.pst) to a Microsoft Office Outlook Personal Folders file (.pst) . The easiest way is to create a new data file in the Microsoft Office Outlook Personal Folders file (.pst) format and import items from the Microsoft Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders file (.pst) file into it.
What do you want to do?
Create a new data file
- On the File menu, click Data File Management.
- On the Data Files tab, click Add.
- To create a Microsoft Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst), click Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst), and then click OK.
- In the File name box, type a name for the .pst file, and then click OK.
- In the Create Microsoft Personal Folders dialog box, in the Name box, type a display name for the data file.
This is the name that will appear in the Navigation Pane for the .pst data file. The default name for this folder is Personal Folders. However, if you have multiple .pst files, and all of them have the same default name, it will be difficult to distinguish one from the other. So it is useful to give the .pst file a name that is meaningful to you.
- If you want, type a password in the Password and Verify Password text boxes.
- Click OK.
- In the Account Settings dialog box, click Close.
Top of Page
Import items to the new data file
- On the File menu, click Import and Export.
- Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
- Click Personal Folders File (.pst), and then click Next.
- In the File to import box, enter the path and file name of the .pst file that you want to import.
- Under Options, select how you want duplicates to be processed, and then click Next.
- Choose the folder that you want to import the .pst file from. If you want to import the entire .pst file, click the topmost folder in the tree, and then select the Include subfolders check box.
- Cicik Import items into the same folder in, and then select the destination .pst file in the drop-down list.
- Click Finish.
Top of Page