You can now check the spelling of Brazilian Portuguese by using the pre-reform spelling rules, post-reform spelling rules, or both. To do this, you must first configure your Microsoft Office programs to use the Brazilian Portuguese language, and then configure them to use the Portuguese spelling rules that you want:
- Post-reform only (new spellings) Only words that were considered correctly spelled after the spelling reform will be verified and suggested; pre-reform variants will be flagged. This is the default setting.
- Pre-reform only (traditional spellings) Only words that were considered correctly spelled before the spelling reform will be verified and suggested.
- Both Pre- and Post-reform (both new and traditional spellings) Both pre-reform and post-reform spelling variants are verified and suggested.
In this article
Before you begin
To check the spelling of Portuguese text you must be using a Portuguese-language version of Microsoft Office, or install the Office Language Pack for Portuguese and configure your Office programs to use the Portuguese language. See Buy, install, configure, or uninstall a Microsoft Office language pack for more information about language packs.
Top of Page
Step 1: Configure Office programs to use the Brazilian Portuguese language
This procedure assumes that you are using the Brazilian Portuguese-language version of Office, or have already installed the appropriate language pack.
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft Office, point to Microsoft Office Tools, and then click Microsoft Office Language Preferences.
- Under Choose Editing Languages, click the Add additional Editing Languages arrow, select Portuguese (Brazil), and then click Add.
- If your computer is not properly configured for the editing language that you have added, Not enabled or Not installed may appear in the Keyboard Layout or Proofing columns. To learn more about these alerts, see What does Not enabled or Not installed mean?
- After you change the default language, you need to close all Office programs, and then open them again for the change to take effect.
Top of Page
Step 2: Use Portuguese post-reform spelling rules
The Brazilian Portuguese modes option is available only if you are using a Portuguese-language version of Office, or after you have installed and configured the language pack.
- Click the File tab.
- Click Options, and then click Proofing.
- To change the Brazilian Portuguese modes, select Post-reform, Pre-reform or Both, and then click OK.
Note You can also use this feature by clicking Spelling on the Review tab, and then clicking Options.
Top of Page