When you use a Microsoft Exchange or an IMAP (IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol): Unlike Internet e-mail protocols such as POP3, IMAP creates folders on a server to store/organize messages for retrieval by other computers. You can read message headers only and select which messages to download.) e-mail account, you can specify the folder where sent items are saved.
What do you want to do?
Change where sent e-mail messages are saved when using an Exchange account
By default, a copy of each message that you send is saved in the Sent Items folder.
When you reply to or forward an e-mail message that is saved in any folder other than the Inbox, you can configure Outlook to save a copy of the sent message in the same folder as the original message.
- On the Tools menu, click Options, and then on the Preferences tab, click E-mail Options.
- Under Message handling, the Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder check box must be selected.
- Click Advanced E-mail Options.
- Select the In folders other than the Inbox, save replies with original message check box.
Top of Page
Change where sent messages are saved when using an IMAP e-mail account
In Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, you can specify where sent items are saved for your IMAP e-mail account. For example, if you are at work and add a personal e-mail account to Outlook, you can configure your sent items to be saved in the Sent Items folder of the data file or in a Personal Folders file (.pst) (Personal Folders file (.pst): Data file that stores your messages and other items on your computer. You can assign a .pst file to be the default delivery location for e-mail messages. You can use a .pst to organize and back up items for safekeeping.) for your personal account.
Note The first time you send an e-mail message with your IMAP account, you are prompted to choose the folder where you want sent items saved.
- On the Tools menu, click Account Settings.
- Select an e-mail account that is not an Exchange account, and then click Change.
- Click More Settings.
- In the Internet E-mail Settings dialog box, click the Folders tab.
To choose a custom folder for saving your sent items, click Choose an existing folder or create a new folder to save your sent items for this account in
Click a folder to save the sent items in, or click New Folder
By default, the sent messages from all your accounts are saved in the default Sent Items folder in Outlook. If you have an Exchange account in your Outlook profile, the default folder is Sent Items in your Exchange mailbox (mailbox: Location on a Microsoft Exchange server where your e-mail is delivered. Your administrator sets up a mailbox for each user. If you designate a personal folder file as your e-mail delivery location, messages are routed to it from your mailbox.).
- Click Choose an existing folder or create a new folder to save your sent items for this account in, expand the folder list, and then click a folder. Usually, you choose Sent Items in the data file for the account that you selected.
Note You should first make sure that you are subscribed to the Sent Items folder so that it will appear in the Internet E-mail Settings dialog box as described in step 4. For information about how to subscribe to IMAP account folders, see the See Also section.
Top of Page