You can use an audio alert to inform you each time that a new item arrives in your mailbox. The default sound is a short .wav audio file, but you can change the sound to any .wav file of your choice.
The audio file can be located anywhere on your hard disk, or on any network share to which your computer always has access. If you move the audio file from the current location, or if the file is not accessible, the sound will not play when new mail arrives.
Tip To turn off the sound, see Turn sound effects on or off.
- Exit Microsoft Outlook.
- Click Start.
- Click Control Panel.
- Do one of the following:
Microsoft Windows XP
- Click Hardware and Sound, and then click Sound.
Note If you are using Classic View, double-click Sound.
- On the Sound dialog box, on the Sounds tab, under Program, under Windows, click New Mail Notification.
- In Control Panel in Category view, click Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices, and then click Sounds and Audio Devices.
Note If you are using Classic View, double-click Sounds and Audio Devices.
- On the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties dialog box, on the Sounds tab, under Program, under Windows, click New Mail Notification.
- Click Browse, and then select a different .wav audio file.
- Click OK.
- Restart Outlook.