This feature requires you to use a Microsoft Exchange account. Most home and personal accounts do not use Exchange.
- On the Tools menu, click E-mail accounts, select View or change existing e-mail accounts, click Next, click Microsoft Exchange Server, and then click Change.
- Click More Settings, then click the General tab.
- Under When starting, select one of the following:
- Automatically detect connection state When Microsoft Outlook starts, if a connection to the Exchange server is not available, Outlook will start in offline mode.
- Manually control connection state When Outlook starts, you will be prompted whether you want to work online or offline. This provides you with the ability to work offline, even if a connection to the Exchange server is available.
Note If you have not set up Outlook to work offline and are not using Cached Exchange Mode, Outlook will be unable to show you any of your data if the server is not available.