Important notice for users of Office 2003 To continue receiving security updates for Office, make sure you're running Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3). The support for Office 2003 ends April 8, 2014. If you’re running Office 2003 after support ends, to receive all important security updates for Office, you need to upgrade to a later version such as Office 365 or Office 2013. For more information, see Support is ending for Office 2003.
|Microsoft Office Outlook® 2003
In Outlook, archiving is a way to back up or delete old items, such as e-mail messages, appointments, contacts, tasks, journal entries, notes, posted items, and documents. AutoArchive backs up items for you automatically by using either the default settings or settings that you specify. However, sometimes you might not want to worry about all of those settings and just archive an individual folder manually.
Manually archive a folder
- On the Go menu, click Folder List.
- Click the folder that you want to archive. In this procedure, the folder being archived is Home Networking.
- On the File menu, click Archive.
- Click one of the following options:
Archive all folders to their AutoArchive settings Allows you to use your AutoArchive settings to archive the Home Networking folder.
Archive this folder and all the subfolders Allows you to archive the Home Networking folder using the options available in the Archive dialog box.
- In the Archive items older than list, choose a date from the date picker. In this example, items in the folder created before January 19, 2004 are archived.
- To include items that you previously selected not to archive, select the Include items with "Do not AutoArchive" checked check box.
Note To see if items have the Do not AutoArchive this item check box selected, open the item. On the File menu, click Properties. On the General tab, verify that the Do not AutoArchive this item check box is selected.
- To archive the folder to a file other than the default Archive.pst file, click Browse, and then specify a different file name, such as Home Networking Archive.pst, and a location, such as My Documents.
Note The default location for Archive.pst is C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\. A Personal Folders file (.pst) is an Outlook data file that stores items such as e-mail messages, contacts, calendar data, tasks, and notes.
- Click OK.
The items in the folder are moved out of the folder and into the .pst file that you specified. To view the folder items again, open the .pst file.