You can add tracking to email messages to follow action that results from a message. This includes the following:
- Delivery and read receipts Get notifications when a message is delivered or read.
- Voting Take a simple yes or no poll or add custom voting buttons. Results are tracked and counted.
- Follow-up actions Flag a message that requires an action by you or a recipient.
What do you want to do?
Get a delivery or read receipt
A delivery receipt tells you that an email message was delivered to the recipient's mailbox, but not whether the recipient has seen it or read it. A read receipt tells you that a message was opened. In both cases, you receive a message notification in your Inbox.
Note The message recipient might decline to send a read receipt. In addition, the recipient's email program might not support read receipts.
- In the open message, on the Options tab, in the Tracking group, select the Request a delivery receipt or the Request a read receipt check box.
To learn how to turn on these options for all messages that you send, see Get notified when messages are delivered or read.
Note Receipts are recorded in the original message in Sent Items. Open the message, and then on the Message tab, in the Show group, click Tracking.
Top of Page
Add voting buttons
You can create a poll in Outlook by including voting buttons in a message that you are sending. Recipients' votes are delivered to your Inbox.
- In an open message, on the Options tab, in the Tracking group, click Use Voting Buttons.
- Click one of the following:
- Yes;No When you want a definite yes or a no, this is the best choice.
- Yes;No;Maybe This voting option offers recipients a third option.
- Custom Create your own custom voting button names. For example, you can ask your colleagues to choose among restaurants for a lunch meeting.
- In the Properties dialog box, under Voting and Tracking options, select the Use voting buttons check box.
- Use the default button options, or delete the default options, and then type the text that you want. Use semicolons to separate the button names.
Top of Page
Flag a message for action
As a reminder for yourself
Do one of the following:
If you want a reminder about this flagged message, on the Message tab, in the Tags group, click Follow Up, and then click Add Reminder. You can change the reminder date and time.
As a prompt for others
To send a flag so that others are prompted to do something, do the following before you send the message:
- In the open message, on the Message tab, in the Tags group, click Follow Up, and then click Flag for Recipients.
- Under Flag for Recipients, in the Flag to list, click the type of flag that you want to send.
- By default, messages flagged for recipients include a reminder. If necessary, change the date and time. If you don't want to include a reminder, clear the Reminder check box.
Top of Page