You can set up your existing Office desktop applications like Word 2010, Outlook 2010, or Outlook 2007 to work with Office 365. Use Office 365 desktop setup to configure your desktop applications and install required updates. Before you run Office 365 desktop setup, be sure that your computer meets the software requirements for Office 365 for business.
Important If you’ve installed the latest version of Office, you don’t need to perform step 1: Office 365 desktop setup in this article. Your first step is to set up email in Outlook 2013.
Note If you’re using a Mac computer, iPad, Windows RT device or another device, follow these instructions instead:
Step 1: Run Office 365 desktop setup
- Sign in to Office 365 with your Office 365 user ID.
- In the upper-right corner, click Settings > Office 365 Settings.
- Click Software > Desktop setup.
- On the Desktop setup page, click Set up.
- When you’re asked if you want to run the application, click Run, and then follow the instructions.
- During setup, you’ll sign in again with your user ID.
- Office 365 desktop setup checks your system configuration, and you’ll see options for configuring your desktop applications. You can also learn more about the updates that the desktop setup installs.
If some applications have shaded check boxes, they’re not available for you to select, perhaps because your admin hasn’t set up your account to use them with Office 365. Or your computer may not have the applications installed.
- After you select your desktop applications, click Continue to finish up.
- When the desktop setup finishes, you may need to restart your computer.
Step 2: Connect your desktop version of Outlook to Office 365
After you have run Office 365 desktop setup, connect the desktop version of Outlook that you’re already using to Office 365. You can then access your Office 365 or other Exchange-based email using the desktop version of Outlook, like Outlook 2013, Outlook 2010, or Outlook 2007, or by using the web browser version of Outlook, Outlook Web App.
To connect your desktop version of Outlook to Office 365, see:
If you need to, you can also migrate email and contacts into a new Office 365 account.
Tips and troubleshooting
If there’s a problem during the setup process, first check Troubleshoot issues you might see when you run Office 365 desktop setup for a possible solution. If the problem keeps happening, contact your organization’s Office 365 admin or post a question in the Office 365 Community to get help.
Watch this video to learn about using Office Web Apps in Office 365.
Start using your team site and SkyDrive Proto share the documents you’re working on with your co-workers.
Top of Page