As an admin, you can reset passwords for users who forgot their passwords. The passwords you assign are temporary, and users must change the password the next time they sign in.
Want to see the steps? Check out the video.
- Go to Admin > Users (or Users and groups).
- On the Active users page, select the users, and then click Reset passwords.
- To send the temporary password to yourself or other people, on the Send results in email page, select the Send email check box, and type the email addresses.
- Click Reset password. Office 365 creates the password, and sends it to the email addresses you gave.
- On the Results page, click Finish.
More about resetting passwords
As an admin, can I reset my own password?
Yes, but only if you add an alternate email address and a mobile phone number that can receive text messages. For more information, see Reset passwords for admins.
Note You need a mobile phone that can receive text messages for password reset only if one or both of the following applies to you:
- Your organization has a custom domain that you’ve set up to use with Office 365.
- Your Office 365 account is synchronized through directory synchronization.
What types of admins can reset passwords?
- For Office 365 Small Business, all admins can reset passwords for users and other admins.
- For Office 365 Enterprise and Office 365 Midsize Business global admins, user management admins, and password admins can reset passwords for users and other admins; however:
- Password admins can reset passwords only for users and other password admins.
- User management admins cannot reset passwords for billing, global, and service admins.
Is there additional information that we need to tell the user when we reset their password?
Yes, when the user’s password changes in Office 365, be sure that they also update their password on their phone and desktop email program to match the new password.
Can I set the password expiration policy so my users’ passwords don’t expire so soon?
Yes, you can change your organization’s password expiration policy to a number of days that range from 14 to 730. For more information, see the following: