Your calendar lets you create and track appointments and meetings. You can create multiple calendars, link to other people’s calendars, and even share your calendar with other people in your organization.
In this article
What you’ll see in Calendar
After your Inbox, the calendar is probably where you’ll spend the most time when using Outlook Web App. You can view your calendar four different ways: Day, Work week, Week, and Month.
Quickly view event details
You can click any event in your calendar to see a quick view of that event.
An event that you create will show you as the creator and have a link to edit or delete the event.
A meeting that you’ve been invited to will show the organizer and include links to respond to the invitation. If the organizer has included an online meeting invitation, you’ll see a link to join the meeting.
Week view is the default view when you first visit your calendar in Outlook Web App. You can change that to Day, Work week, or Month by using the options in the upper corner.
- Create a new event by clicking New event. An event can be an appointment, a meeting, or an all-day event.
- Use the calendars to navigate from one date to another. Shading indicates the week you’re currently viewing, and darker shading marks the current date. You can use the calendar icon at the top to collapse or expand this side of the calendar view.
- You can view more than one calendar at a time. This section lets you create other calendars, such as a calendar just for a specific project or to track personal appointments. You can also add other people’s calendars and select which to display. If you select multiple calendars to display, they’ll be merged into a single view with each calendar given a different color.
- This is another area that you can use to navigate from one day to another. Click any date to jump to that date. Or click the arrows on either end to see the dates before or after those displayed.
- The main window, where calendars will be displayed. Double-click any white space in this window to create a new calendar item. Or, click and drag to create a new item in the time you’ve selected.
- Select the view you want, and share or print your calendar.
The day view is most useful if you have a very busy schedule, or if you want to view multiple schedules side by side. The controls remain the same, only the view has changed.
The month view can be very crowded. To make it more usable, there’s an agenda displayed for the selected day:
- Shading shows the current date.
- Slightly lighter shading shows the selected month.
- Shading shows the selected day and the number tells how many non-displayed items there are on each day. Double-click an item to open it. You can create a new event on any date by double-clicking the white space on that date.
- Shaded item is an all-day event.
- The agenda for the selected day. You can create a new item on the current date by double-clicking the white space in the agenda.
Top of Page
Open an event in a separate window
By default, you read and create events on an overlay on the main calendar page, but that isn’t always what you need. Sometimes you need to be able to view an event in a separate window. You can pop any event out into a new window by clicking the pop-out icon in the upper corner of the message.
Top of Page
Creating calendar items
To open a new calendar item in any view, you can click New event or double-click any white space. In the day, work week, and week view, you can click or drag to select a block of time. Or you can type the subject directly on the calendar. Double-click the new item to open it and add other details.
Create an appointment
Click New event or double-click the calendar to open a new calendar item form.
- Enter a short description of the event.
- Add a location if you want.
- Select the starting date and time.
- Select the duration. Select All day for an all-day event. All-day events appear at the top of the calendar.
- Use Show as to choose how you want the time to appear on your calendar.
- Change or turn off the reminder.
- If you have more than one calendar, choose which calendar to save it to.
- Set a repeating pattern if you want this event to repeat.
- Mark it as Private if you don’t want anyone you’ve shared your calendar with to see the details.
- Use the Notes area to add any other information you want.
- Click Save to save your changes or Discard to cancel.
Top of Page
Create a meeting
A meeting is a calendar event that you send to other people. You create a meeting the same way you do an appointment, but you invite attendees and may add a resource such as a conference room.
After you’ve selected New event, you follow most of the same steps. To turn a calendar item into an invitation, start by entering the names of people you want to invite in the Attendees field.
- You can type names directly in the Attendees field to add them.
- Enter a location, or select Add a room to see a list of available conference rooms from your organization’s address book. Select Scheduling Assistant to show the calendars of attendees. You can also add or remove attendees and automatically schedule resources such as conference rooms.
- To see the availability of attendees and conference rooms, select Scheduling Assistant. When you’re done, click OK to save your changes or Discard to cancel. Either will take you back to the event form where you can make any other changes you want before sending. For more information, see Using the Scheduling Assistant.
- If online meetings are enabled for your account, you can add an online meeting link by selecting Online meeting.
- By default, Request responses is turned on, but you can turn it off if you don’t want to know who has accepted or declined the invitation. If you leave request responses on, you’ll receive a message as each attendee accepts or declines your invitation.
- Click Send to save your changes and send the invitation to the attendees or Discard to cancel.
Top of Page
Sharing your calendar
With a few clicks, you can share your calendar with other people in your organization.
Start by clicking Share at the top of the calendar window.
- Enter the name of the person you want to share your calendar with in the Share with box. Outlook Web App will automatically search for them in the address book.
- After they’ve been found, they’ll be automatically added to the list of people to share with. You can add as many people as you want.
- Choose how much information you want to share. Full details lets that person see all the information about events on your calendar, except events that you’ve marked as Private. Limited details will show the subject and location. Availability only shows only that you have an event at a particular time, but no other details. Private events will always show only as busy.
- You can edit the subject if you like.
- If you have more than one calendar, choose which you want to share. Most people share their default calendar (called Calendar), but you can share any calendar that’s part of your mailbox.
- After you’ve added everyone you want to share with and what level of access you want them to have, click Send to send the sharing invitation to the people you’ve added, or Discard to cancel.
For more information about sharing calendars, see Sharing your calendar.
Top of Page
Using Outlook Web App on a mobile device
If you’re using Outlook Web App on a mobile device, such as a tablet or smart phone, you may see something different from the images above.
Most features work the same as they do when you’re using Outlook Web App on a desktop or laptop computer, but you do some things a little bit differently.
Tap the navigation icon in the lower corner to switch between Mail, Calendar, and People.
To change the calendar view, tap day view , work week view , week view , or month view . To jump to today, tap . Tap the more icon to see more selections. If you’re using a smart phone, only the day and month views will be available.
You create new items by tapping the new item icon . Tap the chevron icons to expand or collapse the part of the screen they appear on.
To get to Options when you’re using a mobile device, tap the more icon , then tap Options. For more information see Options on a mobile device.
What if I want to know more?
Top of Page