By default, the SharePoint Newsfeed is your organization’s Enterprise Social Collaboration network. Everyone with a SharePoint Online subscription will see Newsfeed in the Office 365 global navigation.
Switching the Enterprise Social Collaboration setting in the SharePoint admin center to Yammer.com will replace the SharePoint Newsfeed link on the Office 365 portal with a link to Yammer. This will make it easier for people in your organization to access and use Yammer from within Office 365.
If your organization already has a Yammer network, then people can immediately sign in with their Yammer accounts.
If you don’t have a Yammer network, then people in your organization will need to sign up to get started. If you’re interested in setting up a Yammer network, read Activate Yammer for your organization.
Currently, Yammer.com is a separate service from Office 365 and requires separate account credentials. We’re working on single sign-on authentication, but it’s not ready, yet.
What is Yammer?
Yammer is a private, secure social network for your organization that will allow people to collaborate securely across departments and geographies. It’s designed to inspire company-wide knowledge exchange and to increase team efficiency. Only people with a verified company email address can join your company network. Want to learn more about Yammer? Visit https://www.yammer.com/about.
Activate Yammer for your organization
If you’re interested in activating Yammer for your organization, take a look at your options:
- If you’re a Microsoft Enterprise Agreement customer, you can activate Yammer Enterprise for free. Microsoft Enterprise Agreement customers with qualifying license purchases, such as Office 365 Enterprise E3 and E4 plans, are eligible to activate Yammer Enterprise for their users. Qualified customers will need to work with a Yammer Service representative to start the activation process and appoint a Verified Administrator and a Community Manager to manage their company's Yammer network.
- If you’re not a Microsoft Enterprise Agreement customer, your organization can sign up and use a Yammer basic network. Learn more about Yammer plans and pricing to help get you started.
Replace the Newsfeed with Yammer
Tip This is a pretty big change, so don’t forget to give people a heads up before you make the switch. To understand how this change may impact them, take a look at Start using Yammer.
To replace the Newsfeed link on the Office 365 portal with a link to Yammer:
- Sign in to Office 365 using an Office 365 global administrator account.
Tip The Office 365 sign in page URL is https://www.portal.microsoftonline.com.
- Choose Admin > SharePoint. You’re now in the SharePoint admin center.
- Choose Settings.
- Under Enterprise Social Collaboration, choose Use Yammer.com service.
Note Changing the Office 365 global navigation for everyone in your organization may take us up to 30 minutes to complete.
- Click Save.
What happens to the Newsfeed?
When your organization switches to Yammer, SharePoint Newsfeed functionality doesn’t go away. People can still access Newsfeed from their Sites page, and they can continue to follow SharePoint sites, documents and tags there. However, they no longer have the option to send a message to everyone.
Yammer support options and resources
Yammer Enterprise Support Contact a Microsoft support professional. Your support options include online submission and phone support.
Office 365 + Yammer Enterprise Support Office 365 administrators may sign in to the Microsoft Online Portal with your Office 365 ID to receive support. If you are a Yammer Administrator and cannot access this link, please contact your Office 365 Verified Administrator.
Yammer Basic Yammer Basic Administrators can visit help.yammer.com for troubleshooting information or to submit an online support incident.
Yammer Enterprise Plus Support Yammer Enterprise Plus customers can sign into the Microsoft Premier Online portal for troubleshooting information or to open a support incident with a Microsoft support professional. Sign in using a Microsoft account. If you do not have a Microsoft account, you will be prompted to create one.
Yammer Site Status Visit the Yammer site status page for the latest details on the health of the Yammer site.