You can edit basic information about the data sources in Power BI for Office 365 using the Manage Data portal such as display name and description. You can also specify how other users within the enterprise can request access to data in a data source to create and share queries based on the data source, or to use the shared queries that use the data source. The values that are entered here, including the display name and request access URL, are then presented to information workers who attempt to connect to the data source using Power Query. By entering data source metadata in the Manage Data portal, data stewards can help ensure that information workers and other data stewards can select the most appropriate data sources for their queries.
To manage data source information:
- Sign in to the Manage Data portal.
- Click data sources in the left pane to view all the data sources.
- Find the required data source from the list, right click on the data source row or click the open menu (…) against the data source, and click EDIT.
- In the next screen, specify/change the name and description for your data source. In the Approver for access requests field, specify an email address or URL that will be used for requesting access to this data source:
- If you specify an email address in the Approver for access requests field, the default email client on the user’s computer will launch with a pre-written message addressed to the specified email address when the user requests access to this data source using Power Query.
- If you specify a URL in the Approver for access requests field, the URL will open in the default browser on the user’s computer when the user requests access to this data source using Power Query.
To request access to a data source, see Request Access to Data Sources.
- Click Save.
Understanding the Role of Data Stewards in Data Management
View Data Sources using the Manage Data Portal
Data Management Experience in Power BI for Office 365 Help