There are three administrative roles in the SharePoint Online service administration.
- Global administrator The administrator of the Microsoft Online Services Portal, with permissions to manage service licenses, users and groups, domains, and subscribed services.
- SharePoint Online service administrator The administrator of the SharePoint Online Administration Center, with permissions to create and manage site collections. In the Microsoft Office 365, the Microsoft Online Services administrator is also the SharePoint Online service administrator.
- Site collection administrator A user with administrative permissions to manage a site collection. There can be only one primary administrator and several administrators for a site collection. The SharePoint Online service administrator should assign permissions to the primary site collection administrator when creating a site collection and can add more administrators for the site collection afterwards.
Once you set the primary administrator when creating a site collection, it is good practice to set a second or third site collection administrator as a backup.
The SharePoint Online service administrator can use the following procedure to change the primary administrator for a site collection, or to add or remove administrators for a site collection.
- Sign in to the SharePoint Online Administration Center.
- On the home page, click Manage site collections.
- Select the check box next to the appropriate site collection.
- On the Site Collections ribbon tab, in the Manage section, click Owners, and then click Manage Administrators.
- In the Manage Administrators dialog box, change the primary administrator name in the Primary Site Collection Administrator box, or add or change administrator names in the Site Collection Administrators box.
- Click the Check Names button to verify that the user names are valid.
- Click OK.
Top of Page