One of the most valuable assets to a business is its data. However, many times the existence of key data in an organization is unknown to the people who need to use it because it is hidden, protected, or difficult to find. This results in organizations making decisions without the benefit of the insight that this unavailable data would provide.
This problem is amplified by that fact that most organizations lack a proper information management infrastructure to enable their data experts to easily and securely make relevant data discoverable and available to the information workers in their organization. With the ever-growing volume of data stored in various formats and locations, it has become increasingly difficult for organizations to address the situation through traditional tools. This can lead to:
- Information workers not being aware of the relevant business data.
- If the information workers are aware of business data, they do not know where to find it.
- If the information workers locate business data, they lack access and do not know how to request it.
- When information workers gain access to the business data, they lack the:
- Information required for understanding and trusting the sources of the data.
- Tools to shape and transform it to suit their analysis needs.
- The organization’s IT department struggles to keep up to with requests from information workers for data access and transformation.
The Data Management experience in Power BI for Office 365 provides a cloud-based infrastructure to enable data experts to easily discover, enrich, and share queries (which can be based on a wide variety of data sources within an organization and from public sources) using Microsoft Power Query for Excel. This information is then discoverable using Power Query online data search, so that information workers can more easily find reliable and trusted data for analysis, reporting, and effective decision making. The Data Management experience also enables users to perform analytics on the usage of shared queries within the system, to determine the relevance and quality of data by viewing search and usage metrics for such data sources using the Manage Data portal.
A cornerstone of the Self-Service Information Management (SSIM) experience in Power BI is the ability for you to address your own data analysis requirements without depending on the IT department. Without self-service data management, you must rely on IT to provide data that is in the required shape and format for analysis, and often must wait weeks or months for requested changes to corporate data models. The Data Management experience enables you to easily and securely manage your data without any involvement of the IT department.
Understanding the Role of Data Stewards in Data Management
Getting Started with the Manage Data Portal
Data Management Experience in Power BI for Office 365 Help