When users start typing the first letters of a term in SharePoint search, if the system remembers this term, it will appear in the autosuggest field.
As a SharePoint Online administrator, you can influence the behavior of the autocomplete field. By creating a list of terms in a text file and importing it in to SharePoint, users will see these terms in the autosuggest field as they're typing.
For example, if you'd like your employees to find specific information about say the HR pages of your website, you could add terms such as "benefits", "vacation planner", or "sick leave" to your query suggestions text file.
To customize query suggestions for SharePoint search
- Sign in to the Office 365 Admin Center as a search administrator.
- Choose Admin > SharePoint > search > Query Suggestion Settings.
- Open a text editor of your choice, and enter a list of terms that you want the system to always suggest to users. Only add one term per line to the text file, and don't mix languages in the text file.
- Save the text file to a location that is accessible from SharePoint Online.
- To import a list of query suggestions to SharePoint search, go to Always suggest phrases > Import from text file.
- Browse to the file that you want to import.
- Go to Language for suggestion phrases, and select the language of your query suggestions. It should match the language of the terms in the text file.
- Choose Save Settings.
Top of Page
You can edit a list of terms that you want to always or never suggest to users. To edit a list that you've already imported in to SharePoint, choose Export to text file, update the text file with your changes, and then re-import it.
To get rid of a list of query terms, you have to overwrite it. Do this by importing an empty text file.
You can also prevent terms from appearing in the autosuggest field. For example, you might not want a competitor's product to appear. To prevent this, create a text file with those terms, and then import it to Never suggest phrases.
Query suggestions are turned on by default. To turn them off, go to Search Suggestions and uncheck Show search suggestions.
Top of Page