You’ve shared a workbook in a library in SharePoint Online Enterprise, but no one can view it in a browser. Most likely, the workbook contains a Data Model and it exceeds a certain file size. This can be frustrating. But if you have a Power BI for Office 365 license and the appropriate permissions, you can easily enable web viewing for the workbook.
- If you’re in the standard SharePoint Documents view, in the left navigation bar choose Power BI.
Don’t see Power BI? You may need to add the Power BI sites app to your Power BI for Office 365 site.
- In the Power BI for Office 365 site view, locate the workbook that you want to enable for web viewing. It has a placeholder image tile.
Workbook placeholder image.
- In the tile for the workbook, choose the ellipsis (…) and choose Enable.
From the ellipsis (…), choose Enable.
- In the Enable in Power BI for Office 365 box, choose Enable.
- In the confirmation box, choose Close.
It may take a few minutes for the process to run. When finished, you should be able to view the workbook in a browser and see a thumbnail image of the workbook in the Power BI site. Note that you can view the workbook’s contents in the browser, but you can’t edit the workbook or refresh the data. To do those things, open the file in Excel.
Why can’t I view a workbook in Power BI for Office 365 sites?
Here are the most likely reasons you can’t view a workbook in a Power BI site:
- It exceeds a certain file size.
- It was uploaded to a library in SharePoint Online, not directly to Power BI sites on Power BI for Office 365. If so, from the standard SharePoint Documents view, view your Power BI site and enable the file.
Several things happen automatically when you upload a workbook to a Power BI site. One of those things is that the workbook is enabled for web viewing automatically. When you upload a workbook to a library in SharePoint but not directly to a Power BI site, you need to enable the workbook for web viewing manually.
If you still can’t view the workbook in the browser, the workbook may be too large. You may need to reduce the size of the workbook on a Power BI for Office 365 site.
More about Power BI for Office 365 sites
Power BI sites on Power BI for Office 365
Save a workbook to a Power BI for Office 365 site
Reduce the size of an Excel workbook on a Power BI for Office 365 site