You can show your entire desktop or just a program to everyone in a Lync Meeting, call, or instant messaging (IM) conversation.
- Share your desktop when you need to switch between programs or work on files from different programs.
- Share a program when you need to present specific programs or files and don’t want people to see anything else on your computer.
Share your desktop or a program
- At the bottom of the conversation window, point to the presentation (monitor) icon.
- On the Present tab, do one of the following:
- To share the content on your desktop, click Desktop.
Important When sharing your desktop, everyone in the meeting can see your programs, files, and notifications. If you have confidential information or files that you don’t want people to see, close them or use program sharing instead.
- To share one or more program or file, click Program, and then select the specific program(s) or file(s).
- Use the sharing toolbar at the top of the screen to stop sharing or give control to participants. For details, see the following section.
Note While you are sharing, your Lync status changes to Presenting, and you won’t receive instant messages or calls.
Share primary, secondary or all monitors
If you have more than one monitor, they all display on the Present tab, and you can choose which one to share.
When sharing programs or a desktop with multiple monitors, the sharing toolbar opens on the primary monitor, except if you choose to share the secondary monitor.
Give and take control of a sharing session
If you want another meeting participant to change a file, help you present, or demonstrate something, you can grant control to that person. You will both be in control of the sharing, and you can take back control anytime.
- On the sharing toolbar, click Give Control.
- Select the name of the person you want to give control to.
Lync sends a notification to that person to let them know you’re sharing control.
- To take control back, click Give Control again, and then click Take Back Control.
Tip You can allow people to automatically take control of your sharing session at any time, by clicking Give Control Automatically on the sharing toolbar. We recommend you choose this option only in small and casual meetings. To take back automatic permission, click Give Control, and clear the Give Control Automatically check box.
Top of Page