You can show your entire desktop or just a program to everyone in a Lync Meeting, call, or instant messaging (IM) conversation.
Keep in mind that you need to be a presenter in a Lync Meeting to share your screen. If the option is grayed out, ask one of the presenters to give you presenter access (Click the People icon at the bottom of the meeting window. Then right-click an attendee’s name and click Make a Presenter.) .
- Share your desktop when you need to switch between multiple programs, or work on files from different programs.
- Share a program when you need to present specific programs or files and don’t want people to see anything else on your computer.
Share your desktop or a program
- At the bottom of the conversation window, point to the presentation (monitor) icon.
- On the Present tab, do one of the following:
- To share the content on your desktop, click Desktop.
Important When sharing your desktop, everyone in the meeting can see your programs, files, and notifications. If you have confidential information or files that you don’t want people to see, close them or use program sharing instead.
- To share one or more programs or files, click Program, and then select the specific program(s) or file(s).
- On the sharing toolbar, on top of the screen, use any of these options:
- Click the blue pin to hide the toolbar and have more space. To un-hide the toolbar, move your mouse to the top of the screen. When the sharing toolbar appears, use any of the controls you need or click the pin again to keep the toolbar visible.
Note While you are sharing, your Lync status changes to Presenting, and you won’t receive instant messages or calls.
If you want a meeting attendee to share their screen, give them presenter access (Click the People icon at the bottom of the meeting window. Then right-click an attendee’s name and click Make a Presenter.), so they can use the controls. If they don’t use Lync, they can still use Lync Web App to present. See Share your desktop and programs from Lync Web App for more information.
Share primary, secondary or all monitors
If you have more than one monitor, they all display on the Present tab, and you can choose which one to share. When you share All Monitors, the sharing toolbar opens on your primary monitor.
Give and take control of a sharing session
If you want another meeting participant to change a file, help you present, or demonstrate something, you can grant control to that person. You will both be in control of the sharing, and you can take back control anytime.
- On the sharing toolbar, click Give Control.
- Select the name of the person you want to give control to.
Lync sends a notification to that person to let them know you’re sharing control.
- To take control back, click Give Control again, and then click Take Back Control.
Tip You can allow people to automatically take control of your sharing session at any time, by clicking Give Control Automatically on the sharing toolbar. We recommend you choose this option only in small and casual meetings. To take back automatic permission, click Give Control, and clear the Give Control Automatically check box.
Top of Page