Lync instant messaging (IM) is an efficient way to connect with your contacts in real time and on a moment’s notice. Less formal than email, faster than a phone call—IM is tough to beat for speed and ease of use. You can send an instant message from anywhere in Lync where you see a contact. Just check that the vertical bar on the left side of the picture is green and the “available” label is displayed, indicating the contact is ready for contact.
In an IM conversation, make your instant message more expressive—change font details (type, color, emphasis, size), mark your message as important, and add emoticons. Bring more people into the conversation. Or start the conversation with more than one person. This topic explains how it’s all done and how to respond to or ignore an incoming instant message.
Start an IM conversation
- Locate the person you want to send an instant message to, using search, on your Contacts list, or anywhere else the contact appears in Lync. To start the IM conversation with more than one person or with a group, see the next two sections.
- Do one of the following:
- Hover over their picture in the Contacts list and click the IM button on the Quick Lync bar.
- Double-click anywhere on their contact listing.
- Right-click their listing and select Send an Instant Message.
- Type your message at bottom of the conversation window.
- (Optional) To change the appearance of your message, do any or all of the following:
- Change the font for any part of the message by highlighting the text, clicking the Font icon, and then selecting the color, size, and/or font you want to use.
- Add an emoticon by clicking the Emoticon icon, and then clicking the emoticon you want to add.
- Mark your message high-priority by clicking the Importance icon.
- Press Enter on your keyboard to send the message.
- (Optional) Add others to the conversation by dragging their contact listing from your Contacts list into the conversation window.
Note If you have a long message, Lync breaks it into sections and gives you an option to read more or less of the text. This is called a story and you can even give it a title if you want. For details, see Use stories in Lync.
Send an instant message to several people at once
To start an IM conversation with more than one of your contacts, do the following:
Note To send to an entire contact group, see the next section.
- If the people you want to send the instant message to appear as adjacent contacts in your Contacts list, press and hold the Shift key while you click the listing for each person. Then, click the IM icon that appears next to the last contact you select, type your message at bottom of the conversation window, and press Enter.
- If the people you want to send the instant message to appear in the list as contacts who aren’t adjacent, press and hold the Ctrl key while you click each contact. Then, click the IM icon, type your message at bottom of the conversation window, and press Enter. Your message will go to all the people you’ve selected.
Note See the previous section for details about changing the font, adding emoticons, or marking the message as high importance, see the previous section.
Send an instant message to a group
- Right-click the group name in your Contacts list, click Send an Instant Message, type your message at the bottom of the conversation window, and then press Enter. Your message will go to all group members.
Note For details about creating new contact groups, see Create a new group in Lync.
Respond to an incoming message alert
When someone starts a new IM conversation with you, an alert pops up on your screen. Do one of the following:
- To see the message, click anywhere on the photo area. To write back, type in the text input area, and then hit Enter on your keyboard.
- To reject the message, click Ignore. The message goes to your Outlook inbox, if you use Outlook.
- For additional options, such as to set your presence status to Do Not Disturb so that you won’t be alerted by new instant messages until you change your status again, click Options, and then select the appropriate option.
Top of Page