You can make and receive phone calls with Lync, just like a traditional phone. All you need is your computer speakers and microphone or a headset attached to your computer.
From Lync, you can call someone at their computer or, if your account allows it, on their phone.
Important The ability to use Lync to make and receive calls to and from a standard phone number (as compared to by using computer audio) and to use call transfer, voice mail, and call forwarding is available only if your company has configured support for this. For details, contact your workplace technical support.
Make a phone call
From the Lync main window
- In the Lync main window, either find a contact in your Contacts list or type a person’s name in the search box.
- Point to the person’s contact listing, and do one of the following:
- Click the phone icon to call the contact with Lync.
- Click the arrow next to the phone icon, and select a number (if your account supports calling out to standard phone numbers).
- When the call is accepted, use the audio controls to mute, unmute, and so on. For details, see the next section, “Audio call controls.”
From the dial pad
- In the Lync main window, click the Phone tab.
- Either click the numbers on the dial pad or type the number in the search box, and then click Call.
Lync calls the number just like a regular phone, if your account supports calling out to standard phone numbers.
- When the call is accepted, use the audio controls to mute, unmute and so on. For details, see the next section.
Audio call controls
Point to the phone/mic icon at the bottom of the conversation window to access the controls, and then do any of the following:
- To put the call on hold, click Hold Call.
- To mute your audio, click Mute.
- To interact with the phone system—for example, to enter a code such as your voice mailbox code, on the Dial Pad tab, and then use the dial pad.
- To change your audio device, click the Devices tab, and then select the device you want to use.
- To send the call to another number, if call transferring is available for your account, click the Transfer Call tab, and then choose one of the numbers.
Answer a phone call
When someone calls you, an alert pops up on your screen. Do one of the following:
- To answer the call, click anywhere on the photo area.
- To reject the call, click Ignore. This sends the call to voice mail, if voice mail is available for your account.
- Click Options, and then select the appropriate selection to do any of the following:
- Send the call to voice mail, if available
- Forward the call to another number
- Reply with an instant message instead of with audio or video
- Set your status to Do Not Disturb to reject the call and avoid other calls
Top of Page