You use the same password for Lync as you do for other Office 365 programs. The first time you sign into an Office 365 program, whether it’s Lync or an Office Web App, you use the temporary password given to you and then create a new password that you’ll use for subsequent sign-ins. You can change your password at any time.
Important If you don’t have your temporary password or forget your password at any time, contact your workplace technical support who can reset your password and give you a new temporary one.
By default, Office 365 user passwords are set to expire on a regular basis. When your password expires, you are notified when you sign in.
Change my password
- Open your company’s Office 365 portal, and, in the upper-right corner, do one of the following:
- If, to the right of your name, you see a Settings icon, click it, click Office 365 Settings, and then, under Office 365 Settings, click Password.
- If, under your name, you see My Profile, click it, and then, next to My Profile, click Change Password.
- Type your old password, a new password, and then retype the new password to confirm it. For details about creating a strong password, see the next section.
- Click Save.
Note When you change your password in Office 365, be sure to update the password on your phone and desktop email program to match the new password for your account.
Create a strong password
When you create a new password, use the following guidelines:
- Use 8 to 16 characters.
- Use a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Use at least one number or symbol.
- Do not use spaces, tabs, or line breaks.
- Do not use your user name (the part of your user ID to the left of the @ symbol).
Top of Page