You use the same password for Lync as you do for other Office 365 programs. This topic describes what to do if:
- You forgot your password, or it’s no longer working
- You know your password, but want to change it
I forgot my password, or it no longer works
If you’ve forgotten your password or it’s no longer working, use the Microsoft Online Password Reset site to send a new password request to your workplace technical support—typically the person who set up your Office 365 account for you..
If you want to contact your workplace technical support team directly, send them a link to the admin help topic Reset a user's password.
Change my password
- Open your company’s Office 365 portal (https://login.microsoftonline.com), and, in the upper-right corner, do one of the following:
- If, to the right of your name, you see a Settings icon, click it, click Office 365 Settings, and then, under Office 365 Settings, click Password.
- If, under your name, you see My Profile, click it, and then, next to My Profile, click Change Password.
- Type your old password, a new password, and then retype the new password to confirm it. For details about creating a strong password, see the next section.
- Click Save.
Note When you change your password in Office 365, be sure to update the password on your phone and desktop email program to match the new password for your account.
Create a strong password
When you create a new password, use the following guidelines:
- Use 8 to 16 characters.
- Use a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Use at least one number or symbol.
- Do not use spaces, tabs, or line breaks.
- Do not use your user name (the part of your user ID to the left of the @ symbol).
Top of Page