The steps to change your password depend on the service you’re using. For more information, see “What else do I need to know?” at the end of this topic.
How do I change my password?
- In Outlook Web App, go to the upper corner and select Settings > Options > Settings > Password. You can also change your password by going to Options > Account > Change your password.
- Follow the instructions on the change password page.
Top of Page
What else do I need to know?
- If you also connect to your account from a phone or a tablet, you also need to update the password in the settings on that device to match your new password. Similarly, you also need to update the password in the settings of any other desktop email application you may be using (for example, Apple Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, Microsoft Outlook, or Windows Live Mail).
- To help make your password more secure, you can:
- Use a minimum of eight characters (your account may require more or less).
- Use a mix of capital and lowercase letters.
- Use numbers as well as letters.
- Use punctuation or other non-alphanumeric characters.
- Most email accounts require a minimum number of characters or a minimum level of complexity for passwords. The requirements are set by your administrator. For information about the password requirements for your account, contact your helpdesk.
- Depending on your mailbox settings, you may not be able change your password using the Options page. This could happen if your mailbox is managed by a school or a business. For example, if you’re an Office 365 for Enterprises user who uses the same credentials (that is, user name and password) to sign in to both your organization’s computer network and the Office 365 portal, you’ll be prompted to change your password periodically when you log on to your organization’s computer network. When you change the password you use to log on to your organization’s network, the new password is used in the Office 365 environment. In that case, after you change the password you use to log on to your organization’s computer network, you’ll then need to update the password on your mobile device and desktop email program to match the one you now use to log on to your organization’s computer network. If you can't change your password using Options, contact your helpdesk.
Top of Page