In the Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) Administration console, some products in Office 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) or Service Pack 3 (SP3) might incorrectly show that they are installed when they are not. To fix this problem, the WSUS detection metadata has been modified for the updates within Office 2003 SP3. To obtain the correct detection and reporting results, WSUS administrators should approve the revisions to Office 2003 SP3 if the revisions have not automatically been approved in the WSUS Administration console. WSUS administrators do not need to apply the revisions to clients, because there are no changes to the updates or files within the service packs.
Note No changes have been made to the updates or files within Office 2003 SP2 or SP3.
This applies to the following products:
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) 3.0 SP1
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) 2.0 SP1
- Microsoft Office 2003 SP2
- Microsoft OneNote 2003 SP2
- Microsoft Project 2003 SP2 for Multilingual User Interface Pack
- Microsoft Outlook Live 2003 SP2
- Microsoft Office 2003 SP2 for Proofing Tools
- Microsoft Project 2003 SP2
- Microsoft Office 2003 SP3 for Multilingual User Interface Pack
- Microsoft Visio 2003 SP2
- Microsoft Visio 2003 SP3 for Multilingual User Interface Pack
This problem results from detection logic in these Office 2003 SP2 and SP3 products incorrectly causing WSUS Reporting to indicate that they are installed on the computer. For example, a computer that has Office 2003 SP2 installed but does not have any of the following products installed:
- Microsoft OneNote 2003
- Microsoft Project 2003
- Microsoft Visio 2003
might report in the WSUS Administration console that the following products are installed:
- OneNote 2003 SP2 or SP3
- Project 2003 SP2 or SP3
- Visio 2003 SP2 or SP3
This reporting problem might also appear for the 2007 Office system SP1 products in the WSUS Administration console. To correct the reporting results, approve the revisions to the 2007 Office system SP1 in the WSUS Administration console.