Office 365 for Nonprofits
Choose your billing market:
Office 365 for Nonprofits
Office 365 is now available as a donation to qualified nonprofits.
Get anywhere access to familiar Office applications, plus professional email, calendar, HD video conferencing, and more.
Take advantage of the cloud to help your nonprofit deliver on its mission.
Reliable and up to date
Provide your staff with up-to-date and easy-to-use tools so they can do more social good.
Business-class email, document sharing, and web meetings
Access Office documents with the latest browsers across your devices
Manage and deploy via one console, always up to date, 99.9% uptime guarantee
Stay connected to your colleagues and the people you serve
Simplify the way you work together with powerful communication tools.
- Keep people connected. Connect even more easily with a unified contact card that brings together SharePoint, Facebook, and LinkedIn updates and lets you start an IM, call, or video chat with just a click.
- Online document storage. Provide IT-managed online storage to everyone at your nonprofit with OneDrive for Business. Store documents in the cloud and share with others—even outside your organization.
- Hold multi-party HD meetings. Work together anywhere with conferencing that includes advanced sharing, note taking, and annotations.
- Help protect your data. Get peace of mind with a 99.9% uptime SLA, continuous data backups, robust disaster recovery capabilities, globally redundant data centers, and no scanning of email or files for advertising.
Experience Office virtually anywhere
Provide your staff with the Office applications they know, optimized for their devices, so they can stay productive wherever their work calls them.
- Office Online. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote Online allow you to work across multiple devices, right from a browser. Multiple users can work on the same document together.
- Get Office fast. With the new streaming Office, you don’t have to wait for Office installs or stop working to receive Office updates. Plus, the new Office can be installed side by side with previous versions of Office.
- Roaming settings. Your recent documents, settings, and custom dictionaries follow your Microsoft account, so you can quickly pick up where you left off from any device.
Flexible and low cost
Office 365 provides the flexibility you need to run your nonprofit the way that works best for you.
- Unified admin experience. Easily manage Office 365 services from any browser, while still having advanced PowerShell commands available for automating management tasks.
- Free up valuable resources. Reduce costs and free up time associated with deployment, maintenance, and management of on-premises servers, providing more time for IT to focus on project-related workloads.
- Low cost. Office 365 for Nonprofits is available as a donation to qualifying nonprofit organizations and through deeply discounted rate plans, depending on your needs.
All Office 365 for Nonprofits plans include:
|Email and calendars
Use business-class email through a rich and familiar Outlook experience you can access from your desktop1 or from a web browser using Outlook Web App. Get a 50 GB mailbox per user and send attachments up to 25 MB. Use your own domain name.
||Host online meetings with audio and video using one-click screen sharing, HD video conferencing, and virtual whiteboard. Excellent for brainstorming.
||Connect with others via instant message and let people know your availability with your online status.
|File storage and sharing
OneDrive for Business gives users 25 GB of personal storage that syncs with their PC for offline access. Easily share documents with others through Office or SharePoint.
||Work together on projects with team sites that help keep related documents, notes, tasks, and conversations organized together. Up to 300 subsites.
||Create and edit2 Word, OneNote, PowerPoint, and Excel documents from any modern browser.
Sync email, calendar, and contacts; access SharePoint sites; view and edit Office documents with Office Online using a browser on Windows Phone, iOS, and Android devices.
|Apps for Office and SharePoint
||New third-party and customer-developed apps work with Office and SharePoint to bring web services right into your documents and sites.
The admin portal provides IT detailed configuration options for your services, either from an online portal or through automated management with PowerShell commands.
||Get peace of mind knowing your services are available with a guaranteed 99.9% uptime, financially backed service level agreement (SLA).
||Cutting-edge security practices with five layers of security and proactive monitoring help keep your data safe.
||Your data belongs to you. Microsoft does not scan emails or documents for advertising purposes.
|Up to date
||No need to pay for version upgrades; updates are included in your subscription. New features are rolled out to Office 365 customers in an IT-configurable experience.
||24/7 phone support for all IT issues. For less urgent issues, you can make service requests directly through the admin portal.
Some Office 365 for Nonprofits plans also include:
|Office suite included
||Always have the latest versions of:
- Capture your ideas however you work best—using a keyboard, pen, or a touchscreen.
- Easily format information in Excel with tools that recognize your pattern and auto-complete data.
- Easily incorporate content from PDFs to create your own great-looking Word documents.
- Design customized marketing materials that fit your brand and customers.
|Office on more devices
||Access, edit, and view Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents on iPhones, Android phones, and Windows Phones. Use the OneNote, OWA, Lync Mobile, and SharePoint Newsfeed apps on most devices.
|Office on any PC
||Stream full versions of Office programs on any Internet-connected PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8 with Office on Demand.
|Advanced email capabilities
||Use archiving and legal hold capabilities, plus unlimited storage, for compliance needs. And use data loss prevention (DLP) policies for additional compliance enforcement.
||Keep ideas and work moving with enterprise social networking that makes collaborating with the right people easy and that comes with advanced support, security, administration, and integrations.
|Hosted voicemail support
||Hosted voicemail support with auto-attendant capabilities. Voicemails are recorded to Exchange Online and users can access them from Outlook, Outlook Web App, or a compatible mobile phone.
|Advanced business intelligence tools
Get the insight you need fast with interactive dashboards with Full Excel Services. Perform big data analyses and data visualization mash-ups with the new Excel client with Power Pivot and Power View.
To see all the features that are included, view the detailed service descriptions.
Find out more about the Microsoft software donation program.
Frequently asked questions
On September 10, 2013, Microsoft announced the worldwide addition of Office 365 for Nonprofits to its software donation program, designed to help nonprofits and NGOs do more good. This global offering, initially available in 40 markets with up to 90 markets live by July 2014, provides nonprofits around the world with access to Office 365, Microsoft best-in-class cloud-based productivity and collaboration tools. Nonprofits can learn more, check their eligibility, and apply for a donation by visiting www.microsoft.com/office365nonprofits.
Yes. All of the features and software services included in the Office 365 Enterprise E1 and E3 plans are included in the Office 365 Enterprise E1 for Nonprofits and Office 365 Enterprise E3 for Nonprofits offers.
Follow these steps:
- Go to the Office 365 for Nonprofits page.
- Click the Get started toward a donation with a FREE trial link.
- Click the Office 365 Enterprise E3 for Nonprofits FREE trial green button.
- Set up your account and verify that you are affiliated with your nonprofit organization.
- Trial sign-up collects the information needed to kick off the validation of your organization as an eligible nonprofit. See the Eligibility and validation section of the Office 365 for Nonprofits FAQ.
- During the trial, go to the License Management tab in the admin portal to assign up to 25 users for the Office 365 Enterprise E3 for Nonprofits trial.
- You will receive an email confirming or denying your eligibility as a qualifying nonprofit. If you are nearing the end of your 30-day trial and have not received your eligibility verification notice from Office 365, please contact customer support.
- If eligibility is confirmed, Office 365 for Nonprofits offers will become available in the Office 365 admin portal.
- Go to the License Management tab in the admin portal to reassign your trial users to any of the Office 365 for Nonprofits offers, including the donated E1 offer. You may assign additional users to the Office 365 for Nonprofits offers as well.
Yes, customers interested in any of the Office 365 for Nonprofits offers available must sign up for an Office 365 Enterprise E3 for Nonprofits trial on Office.com to kick off the validation process. Once validated, a customer will have the option to transition the Office 365 Enterprise E3 for Nonprofits trial to the Office 365 Enterprise E1 for Nonprofits offer if desired. Customers will NOT be automatically charged for E3 at the end of the trial period.
Nonprofit customers should use the standard support channel for Office 365. Details on Office 365 support options are available here.
Eligible organizations: Nonprofits and non-governmental organizations must be recognized as charitable organizations in their respective countries in order to be eligible for Microsoft Nonprofit Programs. Eligible organizations must also operate on a not-for-profit basis and have a mission to benefit the local community, which could include but is not limited to:
- Providing relief to the poor.
- Advancing education.
- Improving social welfare.
- Preserving culture.
- Preserving or restoring the environment.
- Promoting human rights.
- Establishing civil society.
For a detailed explanation of eligibility criteria and links to country-specific eligibility criteria, visit the Corporate Citizenship Eligibility page.
Microsoft works with its software donation partner TechSoup Global to determine if a nonprofit fits its broad eligibility requirements. In many cases, the response time is instantaneous once a nonprofit applies for a donation and, in most cases, it shouldn’t take more than three to seven days, provided the nonprofit is responsive to any requests for information. If a nonprofit is required to submit additional information to confirm eligibility, the timing is dependent on several factors, including how quickly that organization can provide the additional information required for validation. Required documentation may include the certification or registration provided the nonprofit’s governing body. For example, in the U.S. we require a copy of the IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter.
If you are nearing the end of your 30-day trial and have not received your eligibility verification notice from Office 365, please contact customer support.
Office 365 for Nonprofits is intended primarily for employees of eligible nonprofit organizations. Nonprofit members or beneficiaries are NOT eligible for Office 365 for Nonprofits licensing. Nonprofits may license volunteers that have significant fiduciary or managerial responsibilities for the organization, such as members of the Board of Directors. A volunteer of an eligible nonprofit organization can receive a license for Office 365 ONLY if they meet ALL THREE of the following tests:
- The volunteer is accountable for specific activities and results within the nonprofit organization that are defined by a written volunteer position description.
- The volunteer’s role with the nonprofit is a year-round ongoing role or is a seasonal or part-time role that reoccurs annually.
- The volunteer will not use Office 365 for personal uses that result in income to the person who is volunteering.
Find out more
"Honestly, I would have to say, you can’t afford not to move to Office 365."
Executive Director, Colorado Youth Corps Association