Lync Windows Store app is a communications app for organizations that have adopted Lync for all their communications. It’s optimized for touchscreen PCs running Windows 8 and Windows RT so that you can use the touch gestures−tap, pinch, stretch, slide, and swipe− to navigate the app. You need to already have a Lync account to use Lync Windows Store app.
You can use this app to send instant messages, make voice and video calls, and join Lync Meetings. If you’re not sure whether your organization uses Lync, contact your support team.
Benefits of Lync Windows Store app
In addition to supporting touch gestures, Lync Windows Store app provides a photo-centric experience for your communications. Pictures in conversation windows are more prominent, so you feel more like you’re actually in conversation with the other person. And, you can use handwriting in instant messages to further personalize the experience.
Also, on the Lync home screen, “favorite” contact tiles display large pictures, and if a user has created a personal note, the display alternates between the contact’s picture and the note, so an image of and details about your closest contacts are always right at hand.
Windows 8.1 also provides side-by-side views of apps, so you can work in Lync and other programs at the same time. Run Lync side-by-side other apps at any window size, to keep an eye on your upcoming Lync Meetings and conversations, while working in other programs.
What’s new in Lync Windows Store app
Lync Windows Store app update: June 2013 includes many new features. From the app, now you can:
- Access more about your meetings Use the new Meetings screen to view details about all the meetings you have on the current and next day and choose which meeting you want to join when more than one is scheduled for the same time. You can still join your next meeting from the Join Lync Meeting tile on the home screen. For details, see Join and exit a Lync Meeting.
- Do more with side-by-side view Make calls, view contact information, start conversations, and see contacts’ presence all while working on other apps. For details, see Use side by side view.
- Join meetings anonymously Join a Lync Meeting from the Lync app even if your credentials don’t work for that meeting or if you don’t have a Lync account. For details, see Join and exit a Lync Meeting.
- Browse someone else’s shared slides During a PowerPoint presentation in a Lync Meeting, move forward and back through the slides without changing what everyone else is seeing. For details, see View and present content in a Lync Meeting.
- Take over as presenter for someone else’s shared slides During a PowerPoint presentation in a Lync Meeting, present a PowerPoint file that someone else has started sharing. For details, see View and present content in a Lync Meeting.
- Click a phone number to make a call Make a call by clicking a phone number when the phone number appears as a link. (Not available for Office 365 users.)
- Change the speed of voice-mail playback Slow down messages to make them easier to understand or speed them up to more quickly get to the part you want to hear. For details, see Check voice mail.
- Answer audio and video calls on the lock screen Answer calls quickly, without having to unlock and login to your device.
- Improved high-contrast support Choose any high-contrast Windows theme to make Lync easier to see.
The easiest way to make sure you have the update is to see if there’s a Meetings tile on the Lync home screen.
If the Meetings tile is missing, install Lync Windows Store app update: June 2013 from Windows Store today.
Learn more about Lync Windows Store app