If you haven’t installed Lync, you can find it from the list of apps in the Windows 8 Store. After you install it, it will appear on the Windows Start screen. You can open the Search charm to find it quickly.
- On the Windows Start screen, do one of the following:
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
- If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.
- Type Lync in the text box, and select it from the search results.
- Lync starts. If you’re signed in to the PC with your domain credentials, Lync uses them and signs in automatically. If not, type in your sign-in address, select a different presence status if you want, and select Sign in.
Note If you’re using a Windows RT tablet PC, you will need to enter your credentials the first time you launch Lync.
Important If you have any issues signing in, see Lync Windows Store app sign-in issues.
- When prompted, choose whether you want to set Lync as a lock screen app. If you do, Lync runs in the background, displays notifications when someone calls you or sends an instant message, and displays short status updates even when your screen is locked.
- When prompted, choose whether you want Lync to use your PC mic, speakers, and camera for Lync calls.
After you make your selections for these settings, you’ll see the Lync home screen.
Tip When Lync is running in the background, you can use the Lync tile on the Windows Start screen to check whether you’re signed into Lync or not. If you are, Lync will display your current presence status.
By default, Lync signs in automatically when it detects a network connection. However, if you’re outside the coverage of your local network, you might incur additional charges for using Lync. To avoid this cost, you can set Lync to not sign in automatically when it detects a high cost network. To learn more, see Avoid metered connections.
To sign out of Lync, select your picture on the Lync home screen, and select Sign out at the bottom of the panel.