Lync automatically detects your audio and video devices, such as a headset, mic, speakers and cameras. You can change your devices at any time, and change the settings to ensure high quality.
We strongly recommend that you check your devices before joining a meeting or making a call, to make sure you’re all set.
Set up your audio device
- In the Lync main window, click the Options button, and then click Audio Device on the left side of the window.
- Choose a device under Select the device you want to use for audio calls.
- Under Customize your device, drag the handle of each of the sliders to adjust the speakers, microphone, and ringer.
- Click the green right arrow key next to the sliders for the Speaker and Ringer to hear a sample tone.
- Adjust and test your microphone. The blue indicator helps you choose the appropriate level. If you have a handset, or desk phone, pick up the receiver and speak into it. If you have a headset, speak into the microphone.
For best results, select the same device for both the speaker and mic. Selecting separate devices could cause audio echoing during a call. If you can’t avoid using separate devices, you can minimize echoing by lowering the volume of both the mic and speaker.
- Click Check Call Quality to make a test call and hear how you sound. If you change your device, click OK on the window for the device to get set up, and then go back to check quality.
Tip You can also access the Audio Device Settings and Check Call Quality from Select Primary Device in the lower-left of the Lync main window. For more information, see Audio Device Options.
If you don’t have a chance to check your audio devices before your meeting, you can still test them when you’re in a meeting or a call. Just pause on the phone/mic icon, and click the DEVICES tab to select your audio device, and adjust your speaker.
Top of Page
Set up your video device
You need a camera to stream your video, but you don’t need one to receive video from others.
- In the Lync main window, click the Options button, and then click Video Device on the left side of the window.
- If your camera is connected correctly to your computer, the video picture is displayed. If you have another program open, such as your camera program, you won’t see the video picture until you close that program.
- If you have more than one camera, select one under the menu: Select the camera you want to use for video calls.
- To adjust any settings, including color balance, contrast, and brightness, and black-and-white mode, click the Camera Settings button. Click OK when you’re done.
If you are using Lync in a remote environment, this feature won’t be available. For more information, see Using Lync 2013 in a VDI environment
. (Note that VDI is not available within Lync 2013 for Office 365 or Lync Basic 2013