With Lync Windows Store app, you can send an IM to one contact or several contacts using text or ink. You can also start an IM with one person and invite more people to join in.
Keep in mind that you can’t send an IM to a defined group of contacts. You have to select the contacts individually.
To send an IM to a single contact
- Select the Contacts tile on the Lync home screen, and select the contact you want. If your contact is in the Favorites group, select the contact’s picture from the Lync home screen.
- Select the IM icon on the bar that opens.
- Type your message in the message box, and press Enter on your keyboard.
Tip The Contacts list is available from the snapped view as well. For details about the snapped view and how to use the Contacts list from there, see Use the snapped view.
To invite more people to an IM
- At the bottom of the conversation window, select Participants.
- Select Invite more people, then find someone on the list or type the name of the contact you want in the search box.
- When you find your contact, tap their photo, then tap the plus (+) button to add them to the IM.
- The contact you added gets your invitation and can join the conversation after accepting it.
To send an IM to multiple contacts simultaneously
- Select the Contacts tile on the Lync home screen, and swipe or right-click each of the contacts you want.
Tip Each contact you select is highlighted in blue and a check mark appears on the top right corner of the contact’s tile.
- Select IM from the app commands that display automatically at the bottom of the screen.
- Type your message in the message box, and select Enter.
To send messages in ink
From Lync Windows Store app, you can send messages typed as text or written/drawn in ink. The default mode when you start an IM conversation is the text mode. To send the message in ink, switch to ink mode instead.
- In the IM conversation window, select the keyboard button next to the message box.
- Do any of the following:
- Select the pen button to switch to ink mode and start writing or drawing on the whiteboard that displays. The default ink color is black.
- To change the color of the ink, select a color from the palette on the whiteboard.
- To erase a part of your text or image, select the eraser icon to start erase mode and make a sweeping motion over the part you want to erase. When you’re done, select the eraser icon again to go back to drawing mode.
- To delete all the text on the whiteboard, select the trash can icon.
- To send your message, select the send message icon at the bottom right of the whiteboard.
Not all Lync clients can send and receive messages in ink mode. The following table lists the clients and whether they can send and receive ink messages:
||Send ink messages
||Receive ink messages
|Lync Windows Store app
|Lync 2013 for the desktop
|Lync 2010 on a tablet PC
|Lync 2010 for mobile clients
|Lync Web App