If you don’t have the desktop version of Lync, or don’t have a Lync account, you can use Lync Web App to join a Lync Meeting from your browser. You don’t have to download anything—just follow these steps:
- Go to Outlook > Calendar, open the Lync Meeting request, and select Join Lync Meeting.
- Enter your name, and then select Join the meeting. Or if the meeting request is from somebody in your own organization, you can select Sign in if you are an Office 365 user instead.
Tip If you’re having trouble joining the meeting, open an InPrivate Browsing session in Internet Explorer and try joining the meeting again.
See also: Lync Web App Supported Platforms.
Install the Lync Web App plug-in
The Lync Web App plug-in is required for audio, video, and screen sharing. You only need to install it once.
- Before you join the meeting, make sure Install Lync Web App plug-in is selected on the sign-in screen.
- Follow your browser’s instructions for downloading and installing the plug in. For example, in Internet Explorer, select Run when you see the alert at the bottom of the browser window.
- In the Lync Web App plug-in security alert, select Allow.
- In the Windows Firewall security alert, it’s OK to select Cancel if you don’t have administrator privileges on your computer.
If you’ve already joined the meeting and the plug-in didn’t install, point to the phone icon and select Call to start the installation process.
See also: Trouble installing the plug-in?
Join a meeting with the desktop version of Lync
If the meeting request is from someone in your organization, you can install and use the desktop version of Lync to join the meeting.
Important To use the desktop version of Lync, make sure Internet Explorer is your default browser.
Join with Lync Web App if Lync desktop is installed
In some cases you may want to join a meeting with Lync Web App even if the desktop version of Lync is installed.
- In the meeting request, right-click Join Lync Meeting and click Copy Hyperlink.
- Paste the meeting link into a browser address box, and add ?sl=1 at the end. For example:
- Press Enter to join the meeting with Lync Web App.